Tutorial: How to obtain skinned WEB folder icon - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Themes, Widgets and other GUI graphical modifications

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
@bstract Journeyman

Fevves is on a distinguished road
Default Tutorial: How to obtain skinned WEB folder icon

I guess some of you saw skinned WEB folder presented in faenils n2o3 CFW.

Well, here's how to obtain exactly that.
First off, I would like to thank Aquarius who nudged me in the very right direction and helped me obtaining this small tweak and faenil who implemented this in his n2o3 without ever questioning functionality of this tweak.

Second, you should be aware that only themes with properly skinned element for this folder will make it appear with custom icon for that folder and not generic. In this case, no default unaltered theme on i8910 will show anything but standard folder icon.

Now the 'small' tutorial:

You have to make sure you don't already have an WEB or Internet folder on your phone. If you do have it, then rearrange icons from it elsewhere, erase it and restart your phone before proceeding further - this is the safest way to go.

*Note: More hardcore users could simply overwrite 2 just lines if they already have an Internet folder and obtain desired effect after reboot without the need of rearranging all icons that resides inside their Internet/Web folder.

Once you're sure you don't have such folder go to C:\private\101f4cd2\content\ folder on your phone using 3rd party file manager (might need hacked phone with open4all patch enabled with some 3rd party managers). Make a backup of appshelldata.xml file you find there. Copy original appshelldata.xml to your PC and open it in the notepad as txt document.
Copy this line:
Code:
<appshell:folder title_name="Web" long_name="Web" short_name="Web" positioned="1" applicationgroup_name="internet" icon_file="Menu.mif" icon_id="16394" mask_id="16395" icon_skin_minor_id="2179" icon_skin_major_id="101F86E3"></appshell:folder>
to your notepad opened appshelldata.xml on your PC. Be careful not just to paste it somewhere or anywhere your cursor is, but right after any of the code like this:
Code:
</appshell:folder>
*Note: It is the safest way to avoid putting this folder code inside another folder code as this could break you phone menus and/or appearances and you could be left with non functional menus so yo would need to reset your phone if you don't have other means of connecting it to your PC and correct the error through your PC.

Now save the document and transfer it back to C:\private\101f4cd2\content\ folder, overwriting original one (don't worry, you made a backup file, no?) on your phone and restart your phone. If you did like I described, you now have skinned Internet folder with proper custom icon and not the default bland one if you're using 3rd party properly skinned theme. If you don't like it called Web then simply go to Menu/options/organize and then select it, go to options/rename and rename it to your preferences. All system attributes will remain and only the name will change.

This might rearrange your menu a bit, but you can restore icons at your pleasure and preference with Organize option in the menu itself.

This might be already discovered elsewhere , but I never saw it before so I presume it's genuine enough.

Take this tutorial as an example for skinning more custom folders you would create and you wish to have a proper icon for such folders, but be careful to always backup first and then do your modifications.

This small graphical tweak is applicable on any FW and not only on custom ones, but if you need your default themes skinned properly then you need properly modded theme already embedded in FW like it is in faenils n2o3.

I hope some of you will like their new icons on Web folder

Here's how my Menu screen looked like (before I skinned my SatNav folder differently etc etc):

Read & obey Global Forum Rules, GUI section Rules, Netiquette, common sense and post accordingly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fevves For This Useful Post:
Bushi86 (05-29-2010), DSA (01-02-2011), minoru89 (07-17-2011), nghia_kn (06-08-2011), Psykitt (05-24-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Genuine Themer

NitroNeo is on a distinguished road

Which theme is this
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-2010, 06:00 PM
@bstract Journeyman

It's Dhanu Sauds theme named Nokia Mobile Talk, just I'm modding it to my own preference atm (green OVI icon is just a part of it atm). I'm not posting my modds anywhere as I haven't finished my modifications nor I asked Dhanus permission yet. Once I'm done, I sure will and if he's all right with what I have I'll post it too.

btw, it uses svg walls and it's a rather nice feature as I like svg walls cause they don't deform much and doesn't pixelate at all switching from portrait to landscape .

Read & obey Global Forum Rules, GUI section Rules, Netiquette, common sense and post accordingly.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
@bstract Journeyman

to unasked question try and subst only minor and major and nothing else, as per your folder ID (if it's not there try inventing IDs) and then assign those IDs to an icon in your theme though SISContents. Like inventing new system folder should work this way. Aquarius was very helpful hinting me in right direction

OFC, you have to mind names for the folder and also position it should take, but it's taken for granted I believe.

cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement