Great Hardware but not so intelligent Software !! - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 PM

mrrao is on a distinguished road
Default Great Hardware but not so intelligent Software !!

Dear Friends,
I've been using the Samsung Omnia HD for over 3 months now and have posted a review based on my experience at the following location. I would be glad if you find it useful.

http://blog.vaddina.com

Please feel free to comment, what you feel.

Thanks,
Prakash
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 AM
Voice of reason

v1rtu4l is on a distinguished road

nice read mate, but you seriously claimed that GPS was useless and they better used the time to develop other things ?

i use the GPS pretty often and it would have been a deal-breaker if the phone would not have that decent GPS

further kinetic scrolling is in the latest update
Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 AM

DkW is on a distinguished road

I use Opera mobile and like it. And I can change the keyboard to the phone version (which is way better).
You like Photo contacts? The fact that I can't even close this application annoys me. I will never use it.
I agree with v1rtu4l about the GPS.
But generally I agree with you. Great hardware, mediocre software, bad support.

Last edited by DkW; 02-18-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:42 AM

lgkahn is on a distinguished road

yes gps on this phone is the best of any phone i have used.. get garmin and quit your bitching
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 PM

paulster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu4l View Post
nice read mate, but you seriously claimed that GPS was useless and they better used the time to develop other things ?

i use the GPS pretty often and it would have been a deal-breaker if the phone would not have that decent GPS

further kinetic scrolling is in the latest update
100% agree, GPS is very important to me as I use my phone as my dedicated sat nav, that was at the top of my list of priorities when choosing the phone.

EDIT - looking at the review again I think the point he's making is that the inbuilt GPS apps are pretty useless, not the GPS system itself. Personally I have to agree as I've never used them, but maybe others have made good use of the spaceme, placeme etc apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkW View Post
I use Opera mobile and like it. And I can change the keyboard to the phone version (which is way better).
You like Photo contacts? The fact that I can't even close this application annoys me. I will never use it.
I agree with v1rtu4l about the GPS.
But generally I agree with you. Great hardware, mediocre software, bad support.
DkW - you can close it, open activefile (or install if you haven't already, it's free), go to 'tasks' in the main menu, select photocontacts and hit options, tasks, kill task. Job done. It will come back after a reboot but just do the same again.

PS - To the OP, thanks for the review and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by paulster; 02-18-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:45 PM

mrrao is on a distinguished road

Well guys .. I love the GPS too .. Whats the use of a smartphone without the GPS ?? As, "Paulster" observed, what i meant was, other than the "Navigation" app, i pretty much never used the others!!

Dont you think, samsung could have focussed in developing other apps, more commonly used !!!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Voice of reason

v1rtu4l is on a distinguished road

i don't think that samsung actually said to its developers "mates, we need a navigation app" but that this is something that took them at most 3 days of developing those tiny tools. i really dont care ^^
Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 PM

BaconTrousers is on a distinguished road

I get a Gps lock in a few seconds BUT a lot depends on whether you have a hot (you activated the GPS from the same position you turned it off) or cold (you have moved from the area in which it was turned off)

It really shouldn't take more than a minute to get a hot fix and probably not much that from cold.

Ive had my Omnia now for 2 Weeks and the only issues I have is a lack of i8910 specific games and the poor HD video recording.

I spent quite a while looking at touch screen phones that could rival or better my old Nokia N95 and the i8910 was the only viable alternative. The only phone I would now upgrade to is the HTC HD2, but it would cost me at least another 200 (If I sold me i8910 for 150 - 200)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement