Thank you and goodbye - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM

Quindor is on a distinguished road
Arrow Thank you and goodbye

Sadly for me the lack of software updates and innovations has made me sell my Omnia i8910. Several bugs and other troublesome stuff prevent me from enjoying the phone as it should be done.

The hardware... the hardware is great, but when the software does not use the hardware, what good is it? If you have a great engine, but your gearbox sucks... whatever you do with it, it won't even be able to do what it is suposed to be doing. Look at the iphone 3GS and how fluint and beautyfull the interface is.... then go back to symbian, you'll let a tear go.

But... the iphone has it's own flaws. I don't wish to feel constricted and censored or anything like that, I'll decide those things for myself...

The i8910 would have been a great phone I think, if it had been in the experienced symbian hands of nokia.... but sadly this is not the case. The software on the N97 is a lot better, but the hardware is too slow... sad. I do wish to the HyperX and Se7en for their excellent work, you made it at least bearably for a while!

So, the logical step is to go to something like android (a bit open, but not enough) or the N900 with Maemo 5, which I have now pre-orderd.

Same killer hardware as the i8190, but now with software and an OS that can actually use it, and... full open, to do whatever you feel like!

So sad to say goodbye... but no choice in my opinion.

Greets,
Quindor

p.s. Any platform has it's problems. Where the i8910 had buggy rSAP (Remote Sim) support, the N900 has none.... so won't work with my carkit... sigh.... but dual-sim will at least give me a *working* solution instead of a on-off solution.

Last edited by Quindor; 10-13-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Quindor For This Useful Post:
sirano100 (11-03-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
VIP - Former Mod

surge is on a distinguished road

Have fun going back to using a resistive screen (and stylus) and using Nokia's substandard parts.
Just kidding. Don't want to be a hater or a fanboy (Hate those types of people!)...i8910 isn't for everyone...it takes alot of patience.
I do believe though that some day eventually we will be able to edit the full rom and turn this phone into the proper device that it should be.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to surge For This Useful Post:
sagar.best (05-28-2010)
Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 PM

Quindor is on a distinguished road

Yes, I do agree with you that they day will come it will be better. But for me, personally, I have realized that the platform samsung is using for it and will keep on using, will never bring what the newer and fresher OS'ses can deliver right now. A bit of the same as nokia has decided with Maemo and S60. I whole heartedly agree with their choice in this regard.

No flashy gui, graphics, extendable IM framework and so on.

Your best will be Symbian^2 or rather Symbian^4, but when either of those might be along, who will say..... I do know they are using the i8910 as one of their two primary development platforms right now, so that is good!

It's not a bad device per say... but it's stuck in what it is right now and will never become so much more as the other devices are on the same hardware. If you are content with that (which I can imagine), that's fine, symbian is not bad, it's just not following the revolution/evolution right now either.

Mind you, the i8910 does have some good stuff going for it. Like the screen and the hardware design, the camers is very good too (best out there I believe), battery time is fine, etc. etc.

I'm just finding myself very limited by the software implementation of the platform. So sad. To imagine that the archos 5 tablet or the 3Gs have the same hardware basically....incomparable...

Actually, I think I won't mind the resistive. The i8910 has a touchscreen which sometimes respond a bit TOO fast. Those pesky alarm notices which you can't snooze properly half of the time.

No hater, no fanboy. Just looking on. Did enjoy my time with the device and the community is certainly a good one!
The Following User Says Thank You to Quindor For This Useful Post:
sirano100 (11-03-2009)

Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM
The good shepherd

Jesus is on a distinguished road

Haha, if the N900 had a capacitive screen and bigger battery, I would have sold my i8910 weeks ago. As it is now, even with the HD 2 coming, the i8910 still has the best all-round hardware.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:54 PM

kennyboy is on a distinguished road

The N900 has dual-sim?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 PM

jayjayuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge View Post
Have fun going back to using a resistive screen (and stylus)
Funny you should mention this, i prefer resistive screens, as i like to play old point and clicks and other emulated games, capacative is just not accurate enough.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 PM
VIP - Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayuk View Post
Funny you should mention this, i prefer resistive screens, as i like to play old point and clicks and other emulated games, capacative is just not accurate enough.
Guess multi touch 3d games are too much sensory overload :P
That's like saying you would prefer a SNES over a PS3 lol.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 PM

AD29368 is on a distinguished road

it would be nice if we had multi touch 3d games!!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:13 PM

jayjayuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge View Post
Guess multi touch 3d games are too much sensory overload :P
That's like saying you would prefer a SNES over a PS3 lol.

I am not sure what you are talking about there with the SNES and PS3 comparison.. or any possible argument that games in 3D are automatically better than games in 2D? or perhaps that the games are better on a PS3 than the SNES? none of this is true at all, its all subjective and a matter of opinion, so i'm not sure what you are driving at there tbh, But anyway.... do you think resistive is incapable of multi touch? you think capacative is the way of the future? if so, i would say you are very misinformed! capacative are far too inaccurate to be used in anything other than a phone with extra large icons, such as the iphone.. that is fact not opinion, and they cannot do much with capacative screens to fix this, other than suggesting you have surgery to sharpen your fingertips or maybe some electrostatic stylus or somesuch, which to be fair defeats the object

The future is more resistive, than it is capacative, and heres a good reason why..

Multi-touch on resistive touchscreens - possible, at least

But yea, currently the resisitive technology isnt quite as good for certain things such as multi touch, but it is still much more accurate than capacative, the only reason people want capacative is because of multi touch, which we dont have on the i8910 anyway... and resistive screen WILL be capable of being accurate AND having your beloved multitouch in the near future, if apple allow it

Anyway, back to original point...

Broken sword is unplayable! with this clumsy capacative screen! so, i may be selling mine also!

Last edited by jayjayuk; 10-14-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 AM
VIP - Former Mod

I started a thread about resistive multitouch a few days ago..
That same company actually, Stratum or Strata..whatever..
Anyways, GIR proved me wrong...even with the fanciest resistive screens (like that one) none of them are as good as capacitive..

And the resistive screens that have really good accuracy and multi touch (like the one you posted) are too thick and have too big of a ribbon (for all the extra logic + driver communication) to be used in a mobile device.

And about the games thing...I mean I know it's all subjective but I am just basing it on the majority of people and what their opinions are...most people do not want to play games with a stylus -- or have an on screen d pad with a touch screen device...hell, most people do not want to use a stylus -- period, for anything.

I would prefer the best of both worlds myself, a capacitive screen with a pinpoint capacitive stylus...i am sure we will see them sooner or later.

Sure, gameboy \ game gear was fun back in the day, and there are indeed some fun and entertaining games that can be played with a stylus on a resistive screen -- but they are technologically inferior to modern games that use other input methods like multi touch w/ capacitive screen and accelerometer. Out with the old, in with the new

I mean if thats what you like why not get an older device with a stylus and a resistive screen that has older style games..instead of a high end device with the latest tech. like the i8910...would save some money that's for sure

Last edited by surge; 10-14-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement