Thank you and goodbye - Page 2 - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 AM

dying4004 is on a distinguished road

Quindor: which phone u r getting bro?

my i8910 has become partly dead 3 days ago. internal mass memory is gone. so i need to buy a new phone and i will be buying htc hero. i loved this i8910 so much and wanted to buy it again but the fear of losing it again has turned me off. its a costly phone and cant lose money twice.

waited 5-6 months for this, got it. it was an awesome phone but .........
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Quindor is on a distinguished road
Smile Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying4004 View Post
Quindor: which phone u r getting bro?

my i8910 has become partly dead 3 days ago. internal mass memory is gone. so i need to buy a new phone and i will be buying htc hero. i loved this i8910 so much and wanted to buy it again but the fear of losing it again has turned me off. its a costly phone and cant lose money twice.

waited 5-6 months for this, got it. it was an awesome phone but .........
Wow! Never had that kind of problem with the phone? Did you try at *#7370# (warning will erase all your data)? Or maybe a reflash with stock or different firmware? Can't imagine what would cause the mass storage to be gone? Maybe your phone is stuck in USB mass storage mode, that would cause that.

In any way, you still have warrenty right? Send it back and get it replaced!! Too munch money to just waste I would say.

I have a pre-order going for the Nokia N900 Maemo 5 internet tablet/phone. Touch HD2 is also very nice in specs, but still windows mobile and well... Just not my taste, not per say bad, but I really want to go into the open phone side of the N900. If something is broken or not working correctly, I'm betting on the community to be able to change it, and Maemo with the N900 is the only platform that actually gives you that openniss. Sharing of information has been very very good so far!

Further resistive or capacitive. Well, good discussion point I would say. Both have their advantages and both have their disadvantages. For instance, capacitive will never be touch sensitive.

Wasn't there the samsung jet which had a sort of hybrid touch screen technology? Ah, found it. It's called R-Resistive and first used on the samsung Jet S8000. More info here : RIM applies for patent on combination capacitive/resistive touchscreen (Phone Arena News) . So hybrid screens are comming and will be the future I think.

I too sometimes miss not being able to select something with my finger nail for instance. And from what I have read the N900 has a very good touch screen for it being resistive.

But, as always, time will tell!

And one a side note, I too enjoy running emulator games sometimes. I'm queitly hoping they will port Star Control II Super Melee! to a phone with wifi battles at some point, now that was a good game!

p.s. That touchscreen in the video is AWESOME!

Last edited by Quindor; 10-14-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:12 PM

jayjayuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge View Post
none of them are as good as capacitive..
Please explain in what way are they not as good? They both have their own advantages and disadvantages, no? - i mean, for example, i pointed one out that capacative is clumsily innacurate.

Quote:
And the resistive screens that have really good accuracy and multi touch (like the one you posted) are too thick and have too big of a ribbon (for all the extra logic + driver communication) to be used in a mobile device.
[Sarcasm]Yeah, you are right here, there is absolutely NO WAY that technology will ever advance in this area.. Microchips are the same size as they have always ever been, nothing has ever gotten smaller.... ever [/Sarcasm]

Quote:
And about the games thing...I mean I know it's all subjective but I am just basing it on the majority of people and what their opinions are...most people do not want to play games with a stylus -- or have an on screen d pad with a touch screen device...hell, most people do not want to use a stylus -- period, for anything.
I am not sure how you can make sweeping generalizations, such as.. Most people this, most people that... can you please link me to your survey data on this?

Furthermore, the nintendo ds surely proves you wrong about peoples wants for playing games with a stylus? what have they sold like 100 million?

Fingers are too clumsy for accurate gamesplaying on a mobile device. unless they are majorly dumbed down, do people want dumbed down games then?

Anyway, once again, to top this ALL off, you won't be seeing multitouch on many phones other than the iPhone, Palm ( if they last ), unless those patents are trashed, so this is all rather pointless...

Last edited by jayjayuk; 10-14-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:49 PM

Juan83 is on a distinguished road

Piss off! negative ant!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:23 PM

kennyboy is on a distinguished road

hmmm....i'm seeing multitouch on htc leo, hero. Even some feature phones from LG have multitouch.

Anyway, it's fair to say the future's fair game for any technology. Won't be so daring as to make such sweeping remarks, anything is possible.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:26 PM

kennyboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quindor View Post
Wow! Never had that kind of problem with the phone? Did you try at *#7370# (warning will erase all your data)? Or maybe a reflash with stock or different firmware? Can't imagine what would cause the mass storage to be gone? Maybe your phone is stuck in USB mass storage mode, that would cause that.

In any way, you still have warrenty right? Send it back and get it replaced!! Too munch money to just waste I would say.

I have a pre-order going for the Nokia N900 Maemo 5 internet tablet/phone. Touch HD2 is also very nice in specs, but still windows mobile and well... Just not my taste, not per say bad, but I really want to go into the open phone side of the N900. If something is broken or not working correctly, I'm betting on the community to be able to change it, and Maemo with the N900 is the only platform that actually gives you that openniss. Sharing of information has been very very good so far!

Further resistive or capacitive. Well, good discussion point I would say. Both have their advantages and both have their disadvantages. For instance, capacitive will never be touch sensitive.

Wasn't there the samsung jet which had a sort of hybrid touch screen technology? Ah, found it. It's called R-Resistive and first used on the samsung Jet S8000. More info here : RIM applies for patent on combination capacitive/resistive touchscreen (Phone Arena News) . So hybrid screens are comming and will be the future I think.

I too sometimes miss not being able to select something with my finger nail for instance. And from what I have read the N900 has a very good touch screen for it being resistive.

But, as always, time will tell!

And one a side note, I too enjoy running emulator games sometimes. I'm queitly hoping they will port Star Control II Super Melee! to a phone with wifi battles at some point, now that was a good game!

p.s. That touchscreen in the video is AWESOME!
I got a Samsung Jet for my wife, and despite the ballyhooed R-resistive screen, it's really much less sensitive compared to capacitive. But thankfully it responses to a stylus, so accuracy is retained. And accuracy is really needed, given the much higher resolution, and that the zoom in function is a tad wonky.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 PM

blowy666 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan83 View Post
Piss off! negative ant!

Woooow....what an OUTSTANDING, INTELLIGENT post...!!! ^^
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
VIP - Former Mod

surge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjayuk View Post
[Sarcasm]Yeah, you are right here, there is absolutely NO WAY that technology will ever advance in this area.. Microchips are the same size as they have always ever been, nothing has ever gotten smaller.... ever [/Sarcasm]
Maybe some day, but not today and not any time soon either
Either way I still prefer capacitive because of the glass\hard plastic\glasslike screen cover.
I have to say i've been using the i8910 without a screen protector now for 4 months and there's not one scratch on it. Impressive!

Quote:
I am not sure how you can make sweeping generalizations, such as.. Most people this, most people that... can you please link me to your survey data on this?

Furthermore, the nintendo ds surely proves you wrong about peoples wants for playing games with a stylus? what have they sold like 100 million?

Fingers are too clumsy for accurate gamesplaying on a mobile device. unless they are majorly dumbed down, do people want dumbed down games then?
Yeah you could be right, but I think there are other reasons why the DS is so successful besides the fact that it uses a stylus.

Quote:
Anyway, once again, to top this ALL off, you won't be seeing multitouch on many phones other than the iPhone, Palm ( if they last ), unless those patents are trashed, so this is all rather pointless...

The HTC hero has multitouch...It's been out for how long now?
The HD2 (HTC Leo) also has multi touch and a capacitive screen.
Microsoft surface also uses multitouch. Surface came out before the iphone, didn't it?
The ZuneHD has multitouch as well.
The patents are meaningless...something like that can't be truly patented, there are always loop holes around technology -- especially something as generic as an input method. Change one step in the way the input is processed and bam, that's an entirely new patent.

Last edited by surge; 10-14-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM

jayjayuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Maybe some day, but not today and not any time soon either
Either way I still prefer capacitive because of the glass\hard plastic\glasslike screen cover.
I have to say i've been using the i8910 without a screen protector now for 4 months and there's not one scratch on it. Impressive!
Yeah that is impressive, i have a screen protector on mine, and that "appears" to have taken some wear, i seem to always manage to to put the phone in my pocket next to my keys or something, so im not confident of removing that protector at the moment.

Quote:
The HTC hero has multitouch...It's been out for how long now?
The HD2 (HTC Leo) also has multi touch and a capacitive screen.
Microsoft surface also uses multitouch. Surface came out before the iphone, didn't it?
The ZuneHD has multitouch as well.
The patents are meaningless...something like that can't be truly patented, there are always loop holes around technology -- especially something as generic as an input method. Change one step in the way the input is processed and bam, that's an entirely new patent.
Such a small handful of phones that you can mention, and this technology has been available for how long now?

I am no patent lawyer, neither do i like the fact that such simple things like this can even be patented, single touch to multi touch seems a fairly obvious progression to me, .. yet Apple's patents surely seem to be stifling technology somehow, even more so as they didn't even invent multitouch.

The iPhone has been out some time, and yet i am sat here with a touchscreen phone, which has hardware to make the iPhone belong in a museum, yet, despite its capabilities, it does not use any form of multitouch, or any form of advanced touchscreen technology at all. I can't help but to feel that Apple have something to do with that.

If these patents are meaningless, why would a company spend millions patenting things? also, why isn't multitouch part of the android operating system? its ready and capable of it, aparently, yet its not enabled, as google were asked not to enable it, doesn't that tell you something?

I think microsoft have their own patents with respect to touchscreen, and i expect apple have trampled on some of those, its a patent war, these companies are trampling over each others patents, and when someone decides to file, they have their patents armed to counter sue. It is like nuclear war on a patent level, If you don't hold any worthwhile patents, then you daren't break any!

Last edited by jayjayuk; 10-14-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 AM

dying4004 is on a distinguished road

guys..... everything got positive and negative.

i8910 got positives and got negatives. its got awesome hardware and an awesome screen. but symbian is less attractive nowadays. still i loved this phone.

but as my i8910 died and i DONT have warranty i will buy a new phone and that wont be i8910 as i am afraid.

i am buying a hero today. i will definitely MISS 3.7 inches amoled which is much vibrant than many other screens and which i used to use to watch movies while i am in traffic. i will miss the 8MP cam which is handy.

but in hero i will get a new OS which will be enjoyable. still got capacitive and multi-touch as a new feature.

still have to live with positive and negative. so lets advance without being a fanboy and a hateboy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement