Help me decide... - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 AM

u23sjw is on a distinguished road
Default Help me decide...

Hi,

At the start of this year, I decided I wanted to invest in a really good phone.

I wasn't too worried about the quality of its music player, as I'm more than happy with my ipod nano.

However, I wanted the phone to have an impressive screen for watching videos. I wanted to be able to surf the internet quickly. Most importantly, I wanted it to have a really good camera (so that whenever I found myself needing to take a photo/video, I could just whip out my phone, instead of always wishing I'd brought my camera with me).

So, after a good bit of research, I decided to go for the i8910.

Sadly, I bought my phone from Simply Electronics (NEVER EVER MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS ME, PEOPLE!!!). The phone developed a fault where the screen became completely responsive and there was nothing I could do at my end to fix it. I sent it back to Simply Electronics at the END OF JULY for repair. After many weeks of me constantly trying to find out what the hell was going on, I finally got a reply yesterday saying that they still hadn't repaired it and will offer me a refund instead.

So, I'm about to get my money back. My question to you is: should I buy another i8910? I did love it (and that was without adding any custom firmware). Or are there better phones out there that you would now recommend? If so, could you please explain to me why they are better?

Many thanks!

EDIT: Also, the i8910 I had before had a problem with voice calls. Apparently my voice would drop out intermittently whenever I was speaking to someone. Was I just unlucky or could that be a common fault with the i8910?

Last edited by u23sjw; 09-11-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 08:07 AM

Georgije is on a distinguished road

The i8910 is a very nice phone, but it's getting old. I have had mine for 14 months now and that's a very long time in smartphone terms.

If you are buying a new phone now i would suggest getting an Android phone (Like the HTC Desire) or you can wait a few months for the Nokia N8 or N9.

Last edited by Georgije; 09-11-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgije For This Useful Post:
u23sjw (09-12-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Gerii is on a distinguished road

If I were you I would wait for the N8 as Georgije has also suggested. It should come out in the end of this month/beginning of next month, so I hope you can wait because it's really an advantage.
The N8 has better speed due to the hardware acceleration of the UI in Symbian^3, better usability (less prompts etc), supports the whole Ovi suite of services without hoping and waiting for a modder to change it for the device, supposedly a better firmware support, multitouch, a much better camera in both still photography (it has the biggest lens ever in a phone (bigger than in most of the compact cameras)). This also helps in video recording, there you get a better picture quality because the whole 12mpx get downsized to 720p which reduces noise and if you zoom it crops out the picture of those 12mpx which means that it has still a reasonable quality compared to I8910. Also the audio is way better than in I8910 because it has a much higher sampling rate and bitrate and uses two microphones to reduce ambient noise.
The build quality is also better than I8910 because its made of one shell of anodized aluminum so it shouldn't get scratched that easily. It also has USB OTG, which means you can plug in any USB hard drive or thumb drive with the bundled adapter (although I don't know whether it supports NTFS or not), it also has miniHDMI out, Bluetooth 3.0 and supports WiFi n.
With the next firmware update there will come a new browser which is based on Qt. This one should be much faster than the one in the I8910.
The only disadvantages of the N8 compared to the I8910 are that it only has one speaker on the back, but from the reviews it seems that it is a good one and the screen is slightly smaller (3,5" vs. 3,7").

Last edited by Gerii; 09-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gerii For This Useful Post:
u23sjw (09-12-2010)

Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Huge member

shug is on a distinguished road

It also has an inferior processor to the i8910 a smaller screen and a smaller battery that can't be swapped without unscrewing the back cover. And with symbian 4 around the corner it's not going to excite app developers.
The Following User Says Thank You to shug For This Useful Post:
u23sjw (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM

With the OS refinements it should still be a lot faster than the I8910 despite having an older generation CPU. And the GPU in the N8 is a lot better than the one in the I8910 and unlike it the N8s GPU is used (by the OS).
And about the battery - nobody here has tested how long it works in real life, it's rather useless to compare the capacity of different phones especially when they have different OSs/OS versions. That's a lesson I learned with the crappy battery life of the Galaxy S..
With Qt as the main app framework applications can be coded now and used later also in S^4 and apps that will be coded when S^4 is out will also be downward compatible. It's at least more future proof than I8910.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Huge member

shug is on a distinguished road

I just don't think it's enough of an upgrade a year and a half down the line although I would like the hdmi and usb on the go. Nokia are still a year behind on the hardware.
Basically I'm playing devils advocate to stop myself buying one . I know I'd regret it.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I need all the help I can get!

EDIT: Okay, I had made my mind up and decided to stick with the i8910. As I live in the UK, where would I be best to buy it? Like I said earlier, I ordered from Simply Electronics last time...and that was a DISASTER! I'm really reluctant to trust 'discount' sites again. I've found the i8910 available with pixmania.co.uk and prepaymania.co.uk but neither seem to have the greatest reputations either.

Help!

Last edited by u23sjw; 09-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Well, you said your most important thing is to take good photos with it so that basically already rules out the first two devices..
Old 09-12-2010, 06:28 PM

Psykitt is on a distinguished road

When taking good photos is not so important for you then choose the HTC Desire.
The Galaxy S has performance issues with multitasking but
they are also developing custom roms for it.
The i8910 runs on old Symbian but has the best camera of the three.
I think the i8910 is the best choice this year. I will keep mine until 2012.
But when you buy an i8910 then consider flashing a custom rom e.g. Faenils n2o4.
Greetings Psy

- The Bevis Frond -
The Following User Says Thank You to Psykitt For This Useful Post:
u23sjw (09-12-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 06:59 PM

Yeah, I really think I'm happy to just continue with an i8910. Can anyone in the UK recommend where is safe and trustworthy to buy one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement