Image averaging to reduce noise :) - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Photos and Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 PM

Georgije is on a distinguished road
Default Image averaging to reduce noise :)

At college we learned about a program called ImageJ which can be useful when you want to analyze photos and stuff. The best thing about it is that you can write plug-ins for it which are little programs that work with pictures.

Some time ago i made a plug-in that can calculate the average of multiple images and as it turned out, this is great for removing noise from night shots

But the down side is of course that you need a lot of photos of the same thing and they must all be at exactly the same angle. Anyway i just ran my program with 6 night photos and the result is great

One of the original photos:

The final result:

Magnified detail from both:

If i wasn't as lazy i'd also try to make the program fix small movements of the camera automatically. Today i had to exclude 10 out of 16 photos because they weren't all pointed exactly in the same direction. More photos=less noise. but more badly pointed photos=more blur

But i must say this was A LOT easier to do with my old N95 because it had an interval shooting option where i could just leave it alone while it snapped 20 photos. But silly Samsung forgot about this feature so i had to take 16 photos by hand and 10 of them were bad.

EDIT: by the way, the difference between both photos is obvious immediately, but if you really want to see the difference save both images to your PC and zoom into the details

Last edited by Georgije; 08-05-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Georgije For This Useful Post:
Fevves (08-10-2010), Gerii (08-08-2010), re-2007 (08-06-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Resistance Is Futile

Shiva is on a distinguished road

Thenx for sharing!
someone should write an application for S60V5 with this plugin...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:46 AM

i think i could write it if it was possible to take pictures from Python scripts.

taking pictures from Python worked well on my Nokias N95 and 6630, but it simply does not work on the i8910.

Anyway the program ImageJ has programming tools made specifically for working with images and the processing power of a PC is far better than any phone so maybe it's better for the processing to stay there
also the RAM is a problem, i get a memory error with more than 13 8 MP pics on the PC so i probably couldn't do much directly on the phone.

BUT it would be really awesome if some hacker could find a way of making the camera do an extremely long exposure, like the night shot, but so the shutter is open for 10 seconds. some professional cameras can do this and it makes night shots look really awesome with no noise at all.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM

infeqt0r is on a distinguished road

Nice job mate.

As you already said,this lack of sequence mode is a shame for Samsung,I want to make some time-lapse videos,but it's simply impossible without that mode,which i really liked on my N95.

Pozdrav za Sloveniju
Old 08-10-2010, 11:12 AM
@bstract Journeyman

Fevves is on a distinguished road

I imagine it's like HDR photos just with lower quality? Nice thing though

ps: ordering Joby Gorillamobile... with such stand there shouldn't be problems taking multiple shots and then recompose them with such sofware you're using

edit: I hope I found web pages for ImageJ here: http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

Read & obey Global Forum Rules, GUI section Rules, Netiquette, common sense and post accordingly.

Last edited by Fevves; 08-10-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: ...
Old 08-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Mooderator

WarCow is on a distinguished road

Seems like a nice tool Another easy and fast way is to use a noise-reducer in your preferred image-editor. Most of the big ones have this and it usually does a good job.
The best one atm is Noise Ninja @ Noise Ninja: The gold standard for image noise reduction for Photoshop
Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCow View Post
Seems like a nice tool Another easy and fast way is to use a noise-reducer in your preferred image-editor. Most of the big ones have this and it usually does a good job.
The best one atm is Noise Ninja @ Noise Ninja: The gold standard for image noise reduction for Photoshop
Any kind of noise reducer has to do a lot of guessing so you never get the real details. It's better to fill in the blanks with averaging or a longer exposure.

@Fevves: yep, that looks like the right website. But without knowledge of Java programming ImageJ is nothing special. Although the built-in functions are useful if you are too lazy to figure out how to install a cracked version of Photoshop (like i am)
Old 08-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Mooderator

WarCow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgije View Post
Any kind of noise reducer has to do a lot of guessing so you never get the real details. It's better to fill in the blanks with averaging or a longer exposure.
Well, most noise is in the shadows, so it's limited how much image info you lose by using such a tool. But of course, some tools are better than others at this. Noise Ninja is definitely in the high-end in that regard. I use it often with my own camera for those sitations where raising the ISO is unavoidable (mostly indoor sports)

As for a longer exposure, this is currently impossible on this camera and it would require a stand anyway. And for the multiple exposures, you need something static, so pictures of people/animals or any movement will be very hard to do.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:10 PM
@bstract Journeyman

Fevves is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgije View Post

@Fevves: yep, that looks like the right website. But without knowledge of Java programming ImageJ is nothing special. Although the built-in functions are useful if you are too lazy to figure out how to install a cracked version of Photoshop (like i am)
I just wanted to give it a go, but I'm yet to try installing it. Can you tell me which plugin you're using? Or even better, could you write a small tutorial how to reduce noise from several shots with it and your plugin?

I think it can be rather useful

ps: I have access to PhotoShop CS2 so I can use that too with simple noise reduction built-in plugin, but I would like to try your method as well.

Read & obey Global Forum Rules, GUI section Rules, Netiquette, common sense and post accordingly.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevves View Post
I just wanted to give it a go, but I'm yet to try installing it. Can you tell me which plugin you're using? Or even better, could you write a small tutorial how to reduce noise from several shots with it and your plugin?

I think it can be rather useful

ps: I have access to PhotoShop CS2 so I can use that too with simple noise reduction built-in plugin, but I would like to try your method as well.

i wrote a plugin myself of course, but i'm sure similar ones exist already. My two plugins are in the attached zip folder.

If you have ImageJ installed drop them into C:\Program Files\ImageJ\plugins
then use ImageJ to open a stack of images (just put a few photos in a new folder somewhere and go to File->Import->Image Sequence and find that folder)

after you have the stack of images opened it's time to install the plugins.

first try Stack_Average. in ImageJ go to File->Open and find the .java file. when you have the .java file opened click on File->Compile and Run. Hopefully the average of all images will appear in a few seconds

after you do this you can close ImageJ and the next time you start it, Stack_Average will be available in the Plugins tab.

Stack_Shift is a plugin i made a few days ago and its purpose is to shift the images around so the same objects are always at the same positions, so you can get better results from the averaging. It mostly works, but sometimes it does weird things. The numbers it asks you for are as follows: focus X and focus Y are the position of the object you are trying to focus on. area size is the size of the area where the algorithm looks for matches. always try to enter the minumum necessary. cross size is the size of the filter used for searching. bigger is usually better, but over 200 px is never necessary. top size is something internal, just leave it at 50 and you'll be fine.

@WarCow: i agree, my methods are completely and utterly pointless if you need to take a photo in any kind of real-life situation where things move around and where you don't have 5 minutes to take a million photos of the same thing. :P

i'm just experimenting a bit
Attached Files
File Type: zip plugins.zip (2.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Georgije; 08-10-2010 at 09:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgije For This Useful Post:
Fevves (08-11-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement