Guide to the "Finger Use" home screen - it's more useful than you think! - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 02:12 PM

MarcusT is on a distinguished road
Default Guide to the "Finger Use" home screen - it's more useful than you think!

The "Samsung Widget" home screen seems to be quite popular, but I much prefer the "Finger Use" home screen, which I find more attractive, minimalist, and very functional.

Because some of its functionality isn't obvious and I suspect many of you have overlooked its capabilities, I thought I'd list its features:
  • 1 tap access to the clock/alarm - just touch the clock at the top left
  • 2 tap access to the calendar - just touch the date to bring up a menu, then select Open Calendar
  • 2 tap access to phone profiles - just touch the date to bring up a menu, then select the profile you want
  • 1 tap access to any one of 4 application shortcuts at the top - configure them in Settings-->Personal-->Home Screen-->Shortcuts
    Note: If you need more than 4 application shortcuts then why not use one of them to open My Media, which you can then customise as required?
  • Display of, and 1 tap access to view/edit upcoming appointments
  • Display of, and 1 tap access to view/edit incomplete/overdue tasks
  • Display of current track playing/paused in Music Player, and 1 tap access to the Music Player
Did you know all that? Have *I* missed anything? Let me know...

Last edited by MarcusT; 09-25-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MarcusT For This Useful Post:
arthursantossp (09-25-2009), beowulf (05-25-2010), boogiedownberlin (10-03-2009), daarth (10-04-2009), iamviveksri (11-22-2009), kei_sama (09-26-2009), minoru89 (07-18-2011), VinX (11-10-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 02:38 PM

atharh is on a distinguished road

Click on Bluetooth icon in top right and you get drop down showing Bluetooth/memory Cards.

Selecting Bluetooth will take you to Bluetooth App.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atharh View Post
Click on Bluetooth icon in top right and you get drop down showing Bluetooth/memory Cards.

Selecting Bluetooth will take you to Bluetooth App.
That's true, but it's the same in the widget home screen, and annoyingly you can only get to the Bluetooth screens if Bluetooth is already active... so you can't switch it ON when you need it that way, only off...

The non-configurable shortcuts at the bottom are the same on both home screens too, so I didn't think to mention them either.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:35 PM

silentangst is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to silentangst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
you can only get to the Bluetooth screens if Bluetooth is already active... so you can't switch it ON when you need it that way, only off...
That's not true lol.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentangst View Post
That's not true lol.
Yes it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atharh View Post
Click on Bluetooth icon in top right and you get drop down showing Bluetooth/memory Cards. Selecting Bluetooth will take you to Bluetooth App.
The bluetooth icon only appears at the top right when Bluetooth is already switched on!

Of course you can tap that area anyway (i.e. when Bluetooth is off and the icon isn't there) and get access to the other card/network functions, but you can't get directly to the Bluetooth app that way.

And as I said, the same functionality is present on both home screens.

So what's not true?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:28 PM

endarion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So what's not true?
The "cake", apparently?

I agree about the home screen though, I definitely prefer the non-widget version. I haven't used the date from the home screen though, thanks for the tip.

I'd love to see BT activation from a dedicated area on the home screen. I can't figure out why it's always one-way even if that spot is reserved for BT indication. Very annoying!
Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion View Post
I'd love to see BT activation from a dedicated area on the home screen.
My workaround is to use one of the shortcuts for the Bluetooth application, so it's one tap to access it, and one more to toggle Bluetooth on or off.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 PM

puffpower2002 is on a distinguished road

Here is one more tab: If you are connected to USB and tap the same area where the bluetooth icon is, the pop up menu also includes a link to the USB menu (e.g. switch from PC Studio to Mass Storage). You can also access the clock/alarm and the connectivity menus from this pop up menu.

Not sure if this is all really helpful but just for completeness... :-)
Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 AM

kennyboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My workaround is to use one of the shortcuts for the Bluetooth application, so it's one tap to access it, and one more to toggle Bluetooth on or off.
there's an application called BTswitch....one click to off/on the BT function.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:44 AM

Kayelle is on a distinguished road

How do you access the music player with one touch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement