How to synchronize mail, contacts and calendar with Google - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 02:11 PM

PeterdeBruin is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb How to synchronize mail, contacts and calendar with Google

[Most of the following will also hold for other Symbian S60 5th edition phones, such as Nokia N97 5800]

Let's first note that Googles documentation for mobile access is very incomplete and not always correct. There is also a confusing terminology:
  • What Google calls 'Google Sync', is based on either Microsoft's ActiveSync protocol, or an internal protocol available only to Google's Android and IPhone apps
  • What Symbian calls 'Sync', is always the SyncML protocol, which is a different thing
  • Email is very well synced by yet another protocol, 'IMAP'.

GMail:
* Using IMAP will keep your phone's inbox fully synchronized with your online GMail or Google Apps mail .
New mail is received immediately (push), provided you keep the mail application running in the background, and you don't loose connection.
It's even faster than mail notification by the desktop Google Talk client.
You can synchronize multiple folders.
Here are instructions.
Some notes:
  • 'Send copy to self' must be left off; Google will automatically save sent mail.
  • You may want to set 'E-mail deletion' to 'From Phone and Server'. Deleting from phone only isn't very useful, as Imap will re-download the mail header.
  • You can set a 'retrieval amount' to restrict the number of messages kept on the phone
    • This is not allowed in combination with 'Automatic retrieval' - which is stupid
  • 'Email notifications' is not the same thing as 'Email alerts' and must be left disabled. It refers to the OMA EMN protocol which Google doesn't support. Enabling it prohibits all email updates.
  • If you enable 'Automatic retrieval'->'Email retrieval', the client will automatically connect, and try to download all mail in your inbox (and other synced folders?).
    This works only if you have a small inbox.
    See www.xargs.com/s60/imap.html for some additional information (haven't checked it):
    • With an interval less than an hour, the Imap connection will be kept open and you get immediate alerts
    • With an interval of an hour or more, the client will disconnect after each retrieval
With standard Samsung i8910 firmware, be sure not to connect through WLan for a prolonged time, or your battery will drain. Better use custom firmware (HyperX, Faenil).

* or you can use a POP connection (instructions), which downloads full messages; advantages:
  • Automatic retrieval (with reconnect and alerts) seems to work, even with a large inbox!
    You can't set the 'Retrieval amount', but Google has two ways to limit the number of old messages retrieved through Pop:
    • When enabling Pop in your Gmail settings, you can select to enable it only for new messages
    • Or you can use 'recent mode' (prefix the Pop username with "recent:"), which limits retrieved messages to the last 30 days.
    [Either way, you have to clean up your phones inbox when it gets too large.
    Luckily, one can easily mark all messages in the categoy 'Older' (meaning older than last week) and delete them from the Phone (not necessarily from Gmail).]
    (At the moment, all messages are disappearing mysteriously from my phone's Pop inbox after half an hour or so.)
Disadvantages:
  • If you use rules in Gmail to sort your messages out, they won't effect Pop retrieval: you'll be disturbed for every unimportant message.
  • No immediate mail notification; the retrieval period is at least 5 minutes
  • Messages deleted or moved in GMail won't get moved or deleted on your phone; you have to delete them separately
  • Messages deleted on you phone won't be deleted in GMail

* Alternatively, you can use the Gmail Java application, available from m.google.com/mail. Advantages:
  • Better screen usage
  • Full search
  • Messages are grouped in conversation
  • Access to messages sent from your computer (but not drafts)
  • Access to all your labels
Disadvantages:
  • No immediate mail notification - it takes up to 15 minutes before new mail shows up.
  • No HTML content is shown, and hence no hyperlinks
You will want to disable the java 'on-screen keyboard' through Menu->Settings->Application mgr.->Installed apps->Gmail->Options->Suite settings->on-screen keyboard->Off.

* You can use the mobile web interface at mail.google.com, of course.

* Or you can use RoadSync, which is Samsung's equivalent of Nokia's Mail for Exchange.
It works as a plugin to the standard messaging client. You can try it and define Roadsync mail accounts while keeping your standard messaging accounts.
It connects through the ActiveSync protocol.
It seems a heavier solution to me; I suspect it consumes more power than Imap when you keep it always on.
An advantage is, it reconnects automatically after losing connection, and it can use scheduled sync instead of always on (push).
If your preinstalled version of RoadSync is 4.003, which it probably is, you have to update to 4.004.
If you want to connect to Google Apps, you have to upgrade to 5.0 (costs $9.99)(haven't tried it).
The 4.004 version does not support HTML content from Google (perhaps 5.0 does).
For setup settings, see Google's instructions.

* There is an Emoze beta mail client, which also has facebook support.
  • It seems to work for ordinary Gmail, but not for Google Apps.
  • It works through their servers, you have to put extra trust in them

* If you manage to download and install and run Email for Nokia from the Ovi store, and select the GMail option, you'll find that (on a properly hacked Samsung) it will only help you to configure Imap access to GMail in the standard mail client.
No trace of extra push functionality; one probably has to create an Ovi Messaging account and use the Ovi Mail option in the app.

Contacts:
* Can be synchronized from the contact manager through the SyncML protocol.
All contact fields and even pictures are synchronized.
Here are Google's instructions (not available in all languages!), but they don't mention Symbian S60 5th ed., so I made up these:
  • Open Contacts
  • Select Options->Synchronization->Start
  • Select sync profile: 'Create new'
    • If this isn't shown in your firmware version, then go to Menu->Settings->Connectivity->Data transfer->Sync->Options->New sync profile->Start.
  • Profile name: as you like it, e.g. 'Google'
  • Server version: 1.2
  • Applications in sync: enable only Contacts; others don't work with Google!
  • Contacts database: 'contacts' (lower case)
  • Data bearer: Internet
  • Network connection: either select a specific connection, or leave it to 'Default connection'
  • Host address: https://m.google.com/syncml (don't forget to put in the 's')
  • Server ID: (leave blank)
  • User name: your Gmail or Google Apps full email address
  • Password: your Google or Google Apps password
  • Ready!
Now you can start synchronization by Contacts->Options->Synchronization->Start->Google.

* If you want scheduled synchronization, then install the nice tiny Swim application.
It performs the synchronization as defined above at an interval of your choice
Be sure to select a specific connection either in your sync profile, or as your phones default network destination (Connectivity->Destinations), or else you will be asked at each sync anew.
Don't sync too often, because it will be visible in the user interface and might butt into your device use.

* You can also use RoadSync, but then only names and phone numbers are synchronized, no other contact data

Calendar:
* Calendar synchronization through SyncML is not supported by Google.

* RoadSync can synchronize the calendar through the ActiveSync protocol.
It supports only a single calendar, and no recurring events! (if I remember correctly)

* Third party software Googasync works excellently.
It can synchronize with multiple Google calendars and birthdays.
It can do scheduled synchronization.
It doesn't use third party servers.
Cost is a one-time fee.

* You can use the free calendar synchronization service by syncme.se (Thanks, froilen)
It works through their servers, making you dependent on them.
The free service supports only a single calendar, and no events in the past.
The paid service is not yet available.

* Third party software goosync can also synchronize for free, but only for the next 14 days and for a single calendar.
For a longer time window or multiple calendars or Google Apps accounts, you need a subscription.
It works through GooSync's servers.

* Google's mobile calendar web interface (at m.google.com/calendar) is very limited.
The Dutch language version doesn't even allow to add events, dutchmen might want to switch to English.
But you can access the full version by going to http://www.google.com/calendar/render

Tasks
Tasks synchronization is yet in no way allowed by Google (except for their Android and iPhone apps) .
When using Googasync, tasks created on your phone show up as appointments in Google Calendar.

Bookmarks
There is no bookmark synchronization solution known to me from any Symbian browser to any Google service, or to any desktop browser other than Opera .
Some partial solutions:
  • Opera has bookmark synchronization (Opera Link) between Opera Mobile and Opera on PC.
    You can access and edit your synchronized bookmarks from any other browser at link.opera.com.
  • If you use XMarks bookmark synchronization on PC (for Chrome, Firefox, IE and Mac Safari), you can access and edit them from your mobile at mobile.xmarks.com.
  • If you use Google Chrome bookmark synchronization on PC, you can access (but not edit) them from your mobile through docs.google.com/m, My Folders.
  • The Google Bookmarks feature of Google Toolbar on Firefox and IE (but not Chrome!) is accessable and editable at www.google.com/bookmarks.
SMS
Synble 2.01, providing some synchronization between SMS and GTalk messages, doesn't work on our device.

Last edited by PeterdeBruin; 02-22-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Auto retrieval, pop and Emoze added etc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PeterdeBruin For This Useful Post:
delta619 (03-15-2010), Docster (06-10-2010), krasnoff (08-11-2010), Proponent (02-10-2010), Puddi (12-08-2010), pyrobob83 (09-21-2009), takarada (03-11-2010), Treikens (11-14-2009), zhelloz (03-30-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 12:46 PM

mystery is on a distinguished road
Default syncml gmail

hi

the above mentioned settings doesnt work.

i have samsung star gt s5233a. i have done the setup for sync and it connects successfully after like 20 or 30 seconds it shows error "receiving failed" and it ends.

i have been trying several settings and nothing works.

can you plz tell me what should be the actual settings for samsung star gt s 5233a or s5230
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM
VIP - Former Mod

surge is on a distinguished road

Lol, they work just fine on the i8910.
I would try posting on a forum about your particular phone!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 AM

mystery is on a distinguished road

thanks surge

please tell me the link of that forum too
Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 AM

froilen is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Free sync for your calendar

There is now a free service for synchronizing your Google calendar as well: syncme.lorenc.se - free Calendar synchronization over SyncML between your mobile phone and Google

There is no official support for Samsung, but its worth a try...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Lightbulb How to update RoadSync

The version of RoadSync which ships with the i8910 (at least in 2009) doesn't work with GMail; you need version 4.004 or later.
But the built-in update mechanism is only accessible after you succesfully completed a mail configuration...
So you have to update via the website, which is not very trivial.
So here are instructions:
  • Start RoadSync
  • Press 'Next' and 'Accept' till you arrive at the connection settings
  • Press 'Options' -> 'About'
  • Note the registration number
  • Visit RoadSync Online Upgrade Options
  • Register at the website
  • It will tell you "There are no (paid) upgrades available for the registration number you entered."
  • Go to 'My account', 'Your registered products'
  • Click 'Click to download software', 'Download software', 'Roadsync Version 4.004 for Samsung S60 5th Edition Smartphones' (or $9.99 - RoadSync for Samsung S60 5th Edition Upgrade Version 5.001)
  • It tells you to uninstall the old version before installing the new
  • Copy to the phone
  • On your phone, leave RoadSync (you have to move through the previous screens...)
  • Go to Settings -> Application manager -> Installed applications)
  • If RoadSync shows up, uninstall it. On mine, it didn't.
  • Install the new version. It installs twice; the second time it asked me to overwrite an existing version which had a higher release number...
  • You have to enter the registration number and activation code that is shown on the website, and in the confirmation email you received
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM

Crossroads is on a distinguished road
Angry Roadsync, Google and SPB Mobile Shell 3.5

I've searched for an answer to this and most of the posts are outdated with old information and refer to old issue and older software versions...so I'll start here.

I have used Roadsync for some time and like it. Recently I did a hard reset, flashed to JCI-WS-02-EN, and reloaded apps (including SPB Mobile Shell 3.5- Woot!!) I re-setup all my connections, email etc.

Previously I did not have a conflict between Google mail and Roadsync, (I was able to get push updates regularly and reliably, as well as creating emails from my phone) but now I can't recall how I did it. Then again, I wasn't using Mobile Shell either. After resetting up everything it was all fine, in that Roadsync (ver. 4.004 build 657) was syncing, pushing, etc. The only problem was I couldn't CREATE an email, nor could I view subscription folders from Gmail. This was because no email had been set up in the native email app settings.

Eventually I had to look up a past email remotely, and I wanted to create an email from the phone, so I set up Gmail in the native app. The result is that Mobile Shell now reports only from the native app and Roadsync no longer syncs, or populates in the Messages/Roadsync folder, even though I have confirmed there is a IAP selected in Advanced Settings and Roadsync is not disabled.

How do I get the two to play nice? Is this a SPB Mobile Shell issue?

You might wonder why not just use the native app. Roadsync is much more reliable since it automatically reconnects if a connection is lost whereas the native app will not, so that you sometimes don't get emails updated as consistently as desired.

I've deleted the Gmail mailbox in the native app, rebooted, synced manually in Roadsync and it all seem to be working again, but if I want to create an email from my phone, or view folders other than my inbox, I'm back to square one. Any ideas?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM

Angry Roadsync 4.004 no longer working with Google

I'm also unable (anymore) to set up a Google account on Roadsync 4.004 (build 657).
The Roadsync log says "Your server requires a policy that RoadSync does not support."
Does anyone still have a working RoadSync 4.004 connection?
RoadSync 5.0 should do the trick, according to support.dataviz.com and this Google support discussion, but the latter says also RoadSync 5.0 is still buggy.

Last edited by PeterdeBruin; 06-09-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:35 AM

Thanks for the quick response, but maybe we're not communicating. I CAN sync with v4.04. It works fine. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "set up a Google account on Roadsync". Anyway like I said, I've done this in the past. The conflict may be in Mobile Shell.

If I didn't have Mobile Shell I could set up Google in the native app and each, Roadsync and Google would work independently. I would leave Google disconnected and set the Notifications to Disabled so it wouldn't poll for new email. This lets Roadsync reference it at m.google.com (IMAP). Then if I wanted to create an email, I could do it from the native app. The problem seems to come with notifications in Mobile Shell.

Not sure how to solve this.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 AM

Well, it appears I solve my own problem. I found the settings I needed in Roadsync. Jeez...If anyone has a similar issue and needs help, pls post and I'll add comments. Otherwise I'm just moving on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement