Guide to flashing on Windows 7 using Virtual XP without needing a disk - Page 2 - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Phone_Guru is on a distinguished road
Default re: Guide to flashing on Windows 7 using Virtual XP without needing a disk

I did link to virtualbox and it is very easy to find XP mode through google. I did. There are numerous links to the files needed to flash and the firmwares and finding msmxl.msi is as simple as entering it into google. It is the first link or second for the later version.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Default re: Guide to flashing on Windows 7 using Virtual XP without needing a disk

Idiot-proofing completed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 PM

scoopex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phone_Guru View Post
1. Install Sun Virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads, normal install
3. Open virtual box and create a new virtual machine using your virtual XP installation as the virtual hard drive.
4. Before powering on your virtual machine go into settings and under the USB section create two new filters, leave the details blank
5. Start your virtual machine. It will finish installing XP
6. Put all of your files i.e. firmware, drivers, ROM flashing tool and MSMXL.msi http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en onto a USB drive.
7. In the virtualbox window click on devices and go to USB devices and click on the USB drive. It should show upin your virtual machine.
8. Install MSMXL.msi and all of your driver files as you would normally
9. Open Symbian ROM flasher and find the files as you would normally.
10. Plug in your phone to a USB port. It should be recognised.
11. Remove it and put it into bootloader mode and reconnect. The download start button should be available to click.

12. Happy Flashing.
FIXED FOR WINDOWS VISTA ;D

Old 07-15-2009, 10:31 PM

9211 is on a distinguished road

a question besides that, u lose ur warranty if u flash other FW like italian one on an non italian phone ?

u get that ? XD
if dont say i will try to explain better
Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 PM

jamieladc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1. Install Sun Virtualbox from www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads, normal install
2. Download Virtual XP aka XP mode from the http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx and install, normal install
3. Open virtual box and create a new virtual machine using your virtual XP installation as the virtual hard drive.
4. Before powering on your virtual machine go into settings and under the USB section create two new filters, leave the details blank
6. Put all of your files i.e. firmware, drivers, ROM flashing tool and MSMXL.msi http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en onto a USB drive.
7. In the virtualbox window click on devices and go to USB devices and click on the USB drive. It should show upin your virtual machine.
11. Remove it and put it into bootloader mode and reconnect. The download start button should be available to click.

12. Happy Flashing.
Apologies for being a noob, but I take it you can use the Windows 7 version of XP mode with Vista as well? Just that I think the link in point 2 only refers to Windows 7.

In fact at the bottom of the page it says XP mode only works on Windows 7. So I'm not sure what I should do as a Vista user.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM

scoopex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieladc View Post
Quote:
2. Download Virtual XP aka XP mode from the http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx and install, normal install

12. Happy Flashing.
Apologies for being a noob, but I take it you can use the Windows 7 version of XP mode with Vista as well? Just that I think the link in point 2 only refers to Windows 7.

In fact at the bottom of the page it says XP mode only works on Windows 7. So I'm not sure what I should do as a Vista user.
The windows 7 version of xp mode will not work with windows vista you have to follow the guide above but without the need for option 2.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:08 PM

It must be a microsoft issue to stop people running vista from using virtual XP. The file only extracts a virtual hard drive image of XP. There is no reason that it shouldn't work in Vista and in fact I have used it with virtualbox in vista. I installed it on windows 7 because I tried it with that first since it is my primary OS. It is too big for me to upload. the file is a little over a gigabyte.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:52 PM

jamieladc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieladc View Post
Quote:

12. Happy Flashing.

The windows 7 version of xp mode will not work with windows vista you have to follow the guide above but without the need for option 2.
Ok, next question then - how did you create an XP OS in virtual box if XP mode doesn't work?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Shocky is on a distinguished road

Thanks but the virtual xp software from microsoft doesnt work in vista and i'll have a play with it further...
Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 PM

caitho is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to caitho Send a message via Skype™ to caitho

This is a bit confusing Imho.

If we VISTA users are to skip step 2 , I guess we also need to skip the end of step 3 ("create a new virtual machine using your virtual XP installation as the virtual hard drive.")

So if I am supposed to just make a new partition in the SUN VirtualBox program it says "Fatal error no bootable media" when I try to start the virtual pc. I probably need some sort of XP .CAB files or something, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement