Tutorial: Linking Notes to Memos and Appointments in your Calendar - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Tutorials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 01:51 AM

Crossroads is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Tutorial: Linking Notes to Memos and Appointments in your Calendar

For all the flack Samsung takes over firmware updates and such, I find that the Symbian OS when combined with SPB Mobile Shell works great for me, especially when it comes to my calendar. I also use RoadSync, which syncs to my Gmail and Google Calendar. I’m not your typical Day-Timer carrier from back in the day either, but with this mix of tools, I might as well be. Here’s a tip on a useful way to make it work for you.

I recently discovered a nice little feature buried in Symbian’s somewhat awkward calendar. It’s a link of sorts between Appointment or Memos and the Notes app. I use it this way:

Mark calls out to me in passing, “Hey are you gonna be at the blah-blah event?”

“First I’ve heard of it.”, I reply. “Tell me more.”

As Mark starts to tell me about it, “It’s gonna be Great! We’re all going to meet at (continues...)”, I reach for my phone. I’ve already decided I’m 90% on board, so I hit a quick launch for Notes. Remember, I’m using SPB Mobile Shell, so I keep Notes on one of my home screens for easy access, one page away. I launch a new note and capture all the info I want, then save the note.

“Let me check a few things and I’ll let you know. And thanks for telling me!”

As I walk away, I open Mobile Shell’s calendar, highlight the day of the event, hit the tab in the bottom right corner, and then choose Calendar. This opens the Symbian Calendar where I choose Options/New Entry/Memo. However you do it, Memo is the key. Subject: event name. Now the fun.

While in Memo, choose Options and Add description; choose From Notes. Tada! Close it out and you’re done. But wait! There’s more.

20 minutes later I’m back at my desk. Since my phone has synced to my Google Calendar, I now see my memo. Google interprets my memo as an “All Day Event” placing it in the top of day, since it also interprets it as “Available”. Should I decide I want to add it as an appointment, all I do is edit the entry, uncheck “All Day” and change to “busy”. My Notes have now been added to the memos "description" box, so I can now enter the time, etc. since I captured that when mark told me about it. Save and I’m done. No more calling Mark to ask, "Okay, what time was that again..."

Of course, you don’t have to go the Memo route. Symbian Calendar allows you to “Add description”, then choose “From Notes” directly from an appointment entry as well. Personally, I like the flexibility that Memo offers me. Either way, It’s a nice little buried jewel, one that’s probably overlooked by many. And try doing that with an iPhone!

Hope it makes your life a little easier.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement