Getting DLNA to work Windows Vista \ Windows 7 - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums var xl8_script = document.createElement("script"); xl8_script.src = "http://loadus.exelator.com/load/?p=239&g=053&c=927073&ctg=Mobile&make=Samsung&Model=i8910 Omnia&j=d"; xl8_script.type = "text/javascript"; xl8_script.async = true; document.body.appendChild(xl8_script); 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Problems & Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
VIP - Former Mod

surge is on a distinguished road
Default Getting DLNA to work Windows Vista \ Windows 7

Note: This will not work on XP. I've tried everything; it seems that windows XP does not have DLNA support.

First of all, turn on DLNA.

Menu, Settings, Connectivity, Wireless LAN, Select the WiFi network you wish to share over, tap Options, then Start DLNA.

The DLNA application will now open.
You will need to configure it, tell it to share pictures, video, music, etc. and where to look for all of those media.
========================

OK, I've done all that, and I can see the i8910 in my Network Neighborhood on Vista Ultimate, I double click it, it opens windows media player, and there is nothing.

I also cannot play any media from my computer to the phone. It sees my computer and folders but says no content found when I attempt to navigate.

I have a feeling this is a firewall or routing issue maybe?
Has anyone else successfully gotten this to work?
=========================

I've turned on ORB's DLNA server and I can see my media now but can't play it..ugh
Has ANYONE got this to work properly?

Last edited by surge; 08-10-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 04:37 PM

capitaine is an unknown quantity at this point

nah similar kind of crap happening on the PS3 too, on the one occaison I managed to get it to see the i8910 as a media server. Not once have I managed to stream anything from the phone to the tv (via PS3)

really frustrating how they won't fix these things... I mean, have Samsung even released the Italian IG2 worldwide yet?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 AM
VIP - Former Mod

OK, I have some updates..

I turned on the DLNA portion of Orb and I managed to see Orb on my phone using the DLNA app. I cannot play anything, but I can download things..
If you already have Orb installed and set up properly, right click on the system tray icon, and go to configuration.
Then go to the Add-ons tab, and check "Enable uPNP Media server" and "Use uPNP for direct stream"

Then on the phone, start DLNA and it should see orb in one of the rings around the center.
Double tap the Orb server icon and you can browse for your files.
When you go to "play" -- nothing happens. Not sure if this is a bug or if it's just not capable of being a DLNA player?
Anyways, you can also select a file, then go to "Download" -- this actually works...

BUT THE PROBLEM IS -- It's EXTREMELY slow...
I'll give you an idea of how slow it is..

It took 5 minutes and 20 seconds to download a 15.31 MB mp3 file..that's about 50 kilobytes per second! Now I do not have any other DLNA devices to test out with Orb, but I highly doubt Orb is the issue here. For the people on AAS that actually got the DLNA server on the phone to work (Using Windows7) -- they also said it was EXTREMELY slow when streaming videos from the phone -- it buffers every second. This is unnacceptable.

I have a pretty badass media server \ home network setup too -- that's why this is very frustrating.
My media server runs vista x64 ultimate, and all my media resides on a 4 drive RAID5 (3TB total, 4 1TB hitachi enterprise class SATA drives), and that server has a dual port intel gigabit NIC with the channels bonded, connected to a managed gigabit switch. Connected to the switch is verizon fios wifi router.
On all my other wifi devices on my lan I get great speeds -- even on my old windows mobile phone htc touch cruise.

I have tried downloading files from the Windows Media Player 11 built in DLNA server but it keeps saying no content found.

I have disabled WiFi power saving, and I can get a solid 2 or 3 megabits per second when doing speed tests from the internet! Something is definitely wrong with the DLNA application.

Also, someone brought something up on AAS forums -- the i8910 is NOT on DLNA.org's list of DLNA certified devices -- this brings up a huge question -- the letters w, t, and f come to mind....

In fact, the only samsung mobile products that are actually DLNA certified are the Jet, i900, i910, i8510, and i7110.

Here's the AAS thread if anyone else wants to experiment with DLNA..there are better instructions there than what I have provided I guess..
How to use DLNA - All About Symbian Forums

I would really appreciate if more people would test this, that way we could go to samsung with conclusive evidence that this DLNA feature does not work!

I am also very curius abou this Samsung DLNA Dongle that so many tech news sites reported about back in february.
The so called WMG100 -- where is it? I have yet to see it offered for sale anywhere...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/18/s...sion-via-wifi/

It also is not on DLNA.org.

Last edited by surge; 08-11-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
VIP - Former Mod

More info:

(from another forum I was talking to this guy and here's what he had to say)

I suppose there are different interpretations of the results of my little benchmark, but the impressions that I got is that DLNA is slow, period. If there's something wrong with the implementation of the i8910 HD that took 14 mins. to copy a 358MB file, there's something wronger with the N82 that took 21 mins. to do the same thing.
Anyway, to test the server-side of the DLNA program in the i8910HD, this morning I downloaded XBMC, a cross-platform media center software that can stream different sources, including DLNA servers. Using this, I was able to play HD video, shot with the i8910 HD and streamed using the phone's DLNA program, both audio and video, both on Windows and on Linux. So my conclusions are:
1) a media center PC is a viable alternative to the limited, and probably expensive, Samsung WMG100 thingy
2) if you just want to stream to your PC, go ahead and download XBMC. It's free, it works, and it's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Edit: OMG, it's so awesome! XBMC can be configured as a DLNA rendererer (Settings - Network - UPnP Settings - Autostart UPnP Client & Enable UPnP Renderer), allowing the i8910 HD to act as a remote control between the DLNA server and XBMC. Just set XBMC to be the default renderer in Settings (on the i8910), browse the DLNA server, and double-tap on a video. The video will start playing on XBMC, and the screen on i8910 will display a music player-like interface, allowing you to pause/play, ff and rewind.

I will experiment now and update.
====================

HOLY **** IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!
I AM STREAMING 720P MOVIES THAT I RECORDED WITH THE CAMERA TO MY TV!!!

I have my 720P 32" HDTV Hooked up to my GeForce card as monitor #2 and I am running XBMC on there full screen.
Wow this works great!! It takes not even two seconds to start and there is NO buffering.

Hm...the video looks downsampled though...weird? I need to do some more tests.
Upon further tests there appears to be buffering but it is sporadic...it's not every second though like most people were saying with the PS3, I recorded a 30 second video and it buffered once 5\10 times I tested it.

Oh man the hot pixels are SO annoying, they're ALL OVER the place, so noticable when I output the video to the HDTV....

Last edited by surge; 08-13-2009 at 02:19 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to surge For This Useful Post:
djsaad1 (08-19-2009), sam8808 (08-13-2009), SlaSH85 (08-19-2009), yestond (04-23-2010)
Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM

SlaSH85 is on a distinguished road
Default sound?

thanks for the info surge. i got it working. only one problem remains. i can't get any sound from my recorded videos or view any of my pictures. mp3 plays fine with sound. any sollution for that?
for now it seems easier to connect the phone in masstorage mode and open the video/pictures from there
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM
VIP - Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaSH85 View Post
thanks for the info surge. i got it working. only one problem remains. i can't get any sound from my recorded videos or view any of my pictures. mp3 plays fine with sound. any sollution for that?
for now it seems easier to connect the phone in masstorage mode and open the video/pictures from there
Are you using XBMC?
Sound works perfectly fine for me, and so do pictures.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge View Post
Are you using XBMC?
Sound works perfectly fine for me, and so do pictures.
yes i'm using XBMC. strange since music files play perfect. do i need to install a codec pack to play ARM audio or are all necessary codecs included in XBMC?
still unable to understand why .jpg files won't show up on my tv screen.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM

GSMGuy is on a distinguished road

Working great for me here, on Win 7 - Saves bluetoothing all the pic/vids - Result!

Mike
Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
Working great for me here, on Win 7 - Saves bluetoothing all the pic/vids - Result!

Mike
i'm using win 7 RC build, will give it a new try tomorrow, thanks so far
Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 PM
VIP - Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaSH85 View Post
yes i'm using XBMC. strange since music files play perfect. do i need to install a codec pack to play ARM audio or are all necessary codecs included in XBMC?
still unable to understand why .jpg files won't show up on my tv screen.
I am using firmware IG2 which replaces AMR with AAC..so thats most likely why!
Also for whatever the f--- reason, even tho windows media connect (DLNA feature in windows media player) is built in to vista, i cannot for the life of me get it to work with the i8910. It sees it though, that's about it... Windows 7 is confirmed working though. God knows why or what was changed.

Last edited by surge; 08-19-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement