MOD: Remapping the QWERTY Layout for s60v5 - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Modifications and Hacks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 PM

elliott is on a distinguished road
Exclamation MOD: Remapping the QWERTY Layout for s60v5

This MOD is for remapping and customizing the QWERTY layout (virtual keyboard) on s60v5 devices, Nokia 5800, 5530, Omnia HD, SE Satio.

The file responsible for the qwerty layout is in z:\resource\plugins\peninputvkbwindowconfiginfo_01 .rsc
_01 stands for english, _42 for Bulgarian etc.

To remap your layout you'll need:
Hex editor, for example HxD
Database of Unicode characters.

You can remap the Qwerty layout into AZERTY, QWERTZ, DVORAK, COLEMAK, or non-latin one, like Cyrillic, Arabian, Greek, Hebrew, Asian aphabets, etc., or just make a custom layout in letters and sybols of your choice.

Copy the peninputvkbwindowconfiginfo_01.rsc (or in any other language _03,_42 etc.) to your PC and open it with HxD. The example here is with _01.rsc, which is the english one:

The structure of the file has 10 "tables" that start after the z:\resource\apps\peninputgenericvkb.mbm string. The english Qwerty layout has three rows and 10 columns, totaly 30 keys.
In the hex view of the file the 10 tables correspond to different layouts (scrolling downwards), as follows:
1. Qwerty - lower case
2. Qwerty - upper case
3. Numeric - lower case
4. Numeric - upper case
5. Additional latin letters/symbols (latin extended) - lower case
6.Additional latin letters/symbols (latin extended) - upper case
7.Additional latin letters/symbols (latin extended) -lower case
8.Additional latin letters/symbols (latin extended) - upper case
9.Additional latin letters/symbols (latin extended) - lower case
10.Additional latin letters/symbols (latin extended) - upper case
Each letter is in a reversed Hex Unicode format (UCS-2 Hexadecimal), for example the fisrt one is "q", but in HEX it is represented as "71 00", the Unicode Hexadecimal for it is 0x0071 and UCS-2 Hexadecimal is 0x7100.
So if you want to modify Qwerty into an AZERTY layout, you simply have to overwrite the HEX "71 00" with "61 00" and you will have a instead of q.
You will see that there are 2 "q"-s in the beginning (one after another), so one is responsible for the displayed letter on the screen and the other one for the text input, so theoretically you can have different input from the displayed letter, which is the case with some "phonetic" layouts on the PC's keyboards.
What is important is that you overwrite only the HEX strings, not directly the text, although in the process of modifying you'll see "nonsence" in the text field on the right, like is the case with the cyrillic/Bulgarian file: peninputvkbwindowconfiginfo_42.rsc:

If you want to have english Qwerty and another layout under one and the same "Writing Language", you can modify tables 5,6,7,8,9,10, replacing the "special characters sets" with layout of your choice. In this way you will have different input languages without switching between "Writing Language"-s.
You can also modify a language file that you don't use, replacing it with the one you like.
Installation:
Method 1: After you have modified your layout, save the file with the same name and copy it in the c:\resource\plugins\ directory. You have to create one, because you will probably not have such in c:\.
Then activate the c2z patch and the file c:\resource\plugins\peninputvkbwindowconfiginfo_01 .rsc will be read before z:\resource\plugins\peninputvkbwindowconfiginfo_01 .rsc.
Method 2 : When customizing a firmware, extract the rofs2 img with Nokia Editor (for Nokia) and whatever you use for cooking Samsung's Roms and paste the modified file in \resource\plugins\peninputvkbwindowconfiginfo_01.r sc .
Flash with the custom firm and you'll have the new layout by default.

The MOD was made for Nokia 5800, so here's how it looks on my device,
Bulgarian phonetic Layout + Latin Qwerty (instead of the special characters set.):

It has been tested on Omnia and Satio also, works ok, as they are s60v5 devices.

Those of you that are still waiting for faenil'sor hyperX's localizations can use the c2z patch method to incorporate the text input you need.
Unfortunatelly, the cooked firms that they release are packed in an .exe file, that is not extractable, so you can't modify the firm directly, like we do with our Nokia cooked firms.

Note: You can make almost any custom layout, but for it to work, you should use the appropriate firmware, because of the unicode symbols defined in the .dll-s. For example i use Firm with Bulgarian, Romanian, Hugarian and i was able to run layouts in Arabic, Hebrew, Greek and of course Latin and Cyrillic. However there was no support for Korean, Japanese, Chineese Unicode Hex strings, so for these languages you have to use an Asian firm.
Attached you will find modified Bulgarian Phonetic + Latin Qwerty Layout, which is of course usable only for Bulgarians.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip BG Phon + Latin Qwerty.zip (60.0 KB, 87 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elliott For This Useful Post:
ehsan2004 (04-26-2010), Fevves (04-26-2010), Givillo (07-02-2010), Jarrod (04-26-2010), mohcivil (04-30-2010), n95star (04-25-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 11:58 PM

n95star is on a distinguished road

elliot you have do a great (and hard) work!

well done guy

and can u help me with this idea?

i want change/invert the position of theese keys in the aplhanumerical keyboard, like in the image

witch is the file to modify? and how? thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scr0000.jpg (31.0 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by n95star; 04-26-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n95star For This Useful Post:
elliott (04-26-2010), Jarrod (04-26-2010), Patroy (04-26-2010)
Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 AM
@bstract Journeyman

Fevves is on a distinguished road

This mod is pure madness (in a very positive way). Hell, it's the best ever I seen in a long time. Pity we i8910 owners can't have standard mini qwerty. But having 2 languages on the same standard keyboard is simply fantastic!

btw, stickied!

Read & obey Global Forum Rules, GUI section Rules, Netiquette, common sense and post accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fevves For This Useful Post:
elliott (04-26-2010)

Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM

Jarrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by n95star View Post
elliot you have do a great (and hard) work!

well done guy

and can u help me with this idea?

i want change/invert the position of theese keys in the aplhanumerical keyboard, like in the image

witch is the file to modify? and how? thanks in advance
YES!! Please could you find a way to make this happen?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jarrod For This Useful Post:
elliott (04-26-2010)
Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Fevves, thanks man for your appreciation and the sticked thread.

n95star, Jarrod, straightforward: i can't do it.
Nevertheless i gave the idea some time today and tested few things, so this is the result:
The file responsible for displaying the rectangles in this portrait keypad mode is peninputgeneralitutnew.r01. Starting from this string downwards:
Code:
z:\resource\apps\peninputgenericitut.mbm.г....@@A@яя.OK.Cancel.Spell.#:.%0N/%1N..
the code describes all the buttons, like the "Close" and "Switch Layout" keys, that you want to replace with one another. For example the 6th string downwards of the kind: z:\resource\apps\peninputgenericitut.mbm.г describes the "Close" button and the 9th describes the "Switch Layouts" button, but they are different in length and can't be overwritten because this will change the file and will result in CRC error, so it won't work.
I however managed to switch the places of the "Close" button with the "Delete", "Left arrow",and "Right arrow" ones, but even then they are only displayed differently, but when clicked they give the default result. So obviously there is another engine that has to be redirected to give the wanted input. Probably some of the files regarding the FrontEndProcessor - FEP. This means modifying some of the dll-s or at least a detailed analysis of the peninputgeneralitutnew.CPP or RSS - the fathers of the rsc.
So sorry, i can't do nothing more.

While i was playing with that idea, i realized that in this manner I can change the button for the special characters, that i use to switch between Bulgarian and Latin in my modified kbd.
It is only a cosmetic change, but I thank you guys for pointing me in that direction.
All the best!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elliott For This Useful Post:
ehsan2004 (05-26-2010), Jarrod (04-26-2010), n95star (04-26-2010)
Old 04-26-2010, 04:45 PM

n95star is on a distinguished road

ok Elliot, we can't modify it, so take another way

this mode that you use, are working with c2z patch or you cook an own custom firmware with your modded keyboard inside?

and what do you think about importing the "Nokia 5800" keyboard on our Omnia HD? do you know all the necessary files?
Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 PM

I use the keyboard embeded in a cooked firm, so it is absolutely like a "factory" one. Modifying the Nokia firm with Nokia Editor is very easy and flashing is not a problem as well. The C2Z patch i use only for testing (like your idea today) because it is not suitable for everyday's use, can slow down the phone and produce some bugs (sometimes).

I thought the keyboard on the Omnia is like on 5800, only without the "Mini Qwerty", why would you want to import it?
I certainly can't do that on my own, have no Omnia device to test, but if somenone of your modders here tries, i can give him a full z: dump and the extracted rofs2 from v.50 firm or v.40 firm and help him with the all the files, that have smth. to do with the text input.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
@bstract Journeyman

It just might be so faenil could make a try on this in a cooked FW (if somethig he's already doing fail). It is a long shot fade suggestion, but if he really fails on thing he's doing now, this might be the best solution there is, if it works with cooking

Read & obey Global Forum Rules, GUI section Rules, Netiquette, common sense and post accordingly.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 PM

Evgeniy is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I imported the Mini qwerty keyboard from Nokia to i8910. It's easy

Last edited by Evgeniy; 05-25-2010 at 09:32 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Evgeniy For This Useful Post:
dragossh (09-07-2010), ehsan2004 (05-26-2010), Jarrod (05-26-2010), rickon (05-27-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 06:48 PM
@bstract Journeyman

Nice for portrait, but what about landscape? It's rather small this way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
keyboard, layout, qwerty, remapping, s60v5