GPS connection issue - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD GPS Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 AM

DkW is on a distinguished road
Default GPS connection issue

Hi,

I'm having trouble with GPS. The simple steps outlined on page 44-46 of the user manual pdf simply do not work. I have both Intergrated GPS and Network based positioning methods enabled. When I choose tools-location-GPS data I get a message "searching for GPS devices" followed closely by another message "calculating GPS data". When I then choose either Navigation, Position or Trip distance I see "no connection", regardless of whether I'm inside or out (Or on a hill top with no obstructions for that matter). I've only just got my i8910, am I missing something? Is this a hardware/software or a carrier issue. I'm with Optus Aus. I8910DXIH1.

Any help appreciated - thanks in advance

P.S. I have used the search function of this forum and to no avail

Last edited by DkW; 02-09-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 AM

stan is on a distinguished road

I'm having similar issues, haven't tried though staying outside and configuring it from there (it's too bloody cold)

Tried contacting the phone company, but they couldn't tell me anything about what I should try.

I'll try and doodle with this, see if I can figure anything out. I fiddled with the settings and deleted the gps server address (stupid me) does anyone have it written down?

S.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Resistance Is Futile

Shiva is on a distinguished road

Did you guys activated GPS + ?
It's the most important part in activating the gps
Samsung LBS->GPS+ ->Download data

Old 02-24-2010, 11:51 AM
i8910 Gladiator

valdigre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
Did you guys activated GPS + ?
It's the most important part in activating the gps
Samsung LBS->GPS+ ->Download data
EDIT: I stand corrected, I used the GPS+ application, it downloaded the gps settings/coordinates and next time I run it the gps device was no longer disconnected, it worked fine. Use the download data option and it should work fine.

Last edited by valdigre; 02-24-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 PM

tollina is on a distinguished road
Default I have the same trouble

Hi
I have read your troubles with the GPS on the 8910, and I have the same trobles with GPS that DKW..have you any solution?
I´m from Spain and here there´s nobody to help me
Thanks

Last edited by tollina; 03-13-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 PM

tollina is on a distinguished road

Hi
I have read your troubles with the GPS on the 8910, and I have the same trobles that DKW with GPS..have you any solution?
I´m from Spain and here there´s nobody to help me
Thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Rhonin is on a distinguished road

Hi there, i encountered the same prob with the GPS-Modul. Meanwhile the Mobile lies 30 minutes on the balcony trying to find a satelite.... Route 66 shows a red symbol for GPS. Nearby i had layed my old Nokia 6110 Navigator and in a few minutes it receives the desirde information. So what ??? Is it a failure in the construction ? Or is it just a device, which i have to send back to the trader ? I'm a little bit disappointed about the GPS...

Any Ideas left ??? Plz.... the GPS+ can't be the solution, because it shoul work without aditional costs....

Thx in advance
Old 05-13-2010, 05:29 AM
Huge member

shug is on a distinguished road

Why should it work without additional costs? Gps+ costs nothing anyway if you update it over your wifi and set it to automatic every seven days at a time you're going to be home. Nokia uses a different triangulation method but this is faster. Samsung probably figured that those that spend $500 dollars plus on a phone aren't going to freak about a few cents or that they're going to buy a data plan.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:06 AM

Rhonin is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shug View Post
Why should it work without additional costs? Gps+ costs nothing anyway if you update it over your wifi and set it to automatic every seven days at a time you're going to be home. Nokia uses a different triangulation method but this is faster. Samsung probably figured that those that spend $500 dollars plus on a phone aren't going to freak about a few cents or that they're going to buy a data plan.
Ok, thx for your information. Btw if someone spends 500 Bugs for a phone the functionality of a GPS-Modul should be garanteed...

i still can't understand, how the GPS+ is working .... I had received the rquired data via WLAN and i think, that they are valid for 7 days. But why must the phone reconnect to the server when i started GPS again on the same day ?

And plz don't fool me, but is there no icon for an activ GPS at the display....

Thx :-)
Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 PM

RenanrRinaldi is on a distinguished road

I didn't know you could retrieve GPS+ data from WiFi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement