GPS connection issue - Page 2 - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD GPS Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 PM

mark22 is on a distinguished road

GPS+ downloads satellite position data for the next 7 days so it doesn't matter where it is downloaded from. Assisted gps then use a triangulated position from the cell towers to find a quick approximate position so it can lock onto the satellites quicker (hence reconnecting to mobile network on same day).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to mark22 For This Useful Post:
RenanrRinaldi (05-14-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Rhonin is on a distinguished road
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenanrRinaldi View Post
I didn't know you could retrieve GPS+ data from WiFi.
Hi once again, this morning i used the GPS+ thing again, and it works :-)...

But concerning the hint, that GPS+ uses Wifi ... i have a little Problem. I connected my phone to my WLAN and than i downloaded the required data. But it connects to the I-net through my phoneprovider and not via Wifi. Where is the missing functionality, which i have to activate... ?

Hope you have a hint for a newbi....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:29 PM

Joey2oo9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonin View Post
Hi once again, this morning i used the GPS+ thing again, and it works :-)...

But concerning the hint, that GPS+ uses Wifi ... i have a little Problem. I connected my phone to my WLAN and than i downloaded the required data. But it connects to the I-net through my phoneprovider and not via Wifi. Where is the missing functionality, which i have to activate... ?

Hope you have a hint for a newbi....
You have no missing functionality you're just downloading the GPS+ data via your phone provider instead of wifi. It's not a problem

Old 05-14-2010, 05:22 PM

So as a resumee....

i' ve downloaded the required data this morning - and they are valid for 7 days - If so, i can't understand, why i must download the data again to get my GPS running this afternoon ???
I'm a little curious about this behaviour. Are there different types of data ?

And the second question - maybe it lies within the "normal" usage of the phone, because i haven't found a fitting point in the menu.... How can i tell my phone to use WIFI for downloading the GPS+ data ? As i told in my earlier post, i was connected to my WiFi @ home, but the data were downloaded via phoneprovider...

Thx in advance - you're so kind helping a newbie :-)

Last edited by Rhonin; 05-14-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: some information added
Old 05-15-2010, 01:02 PM

lgkahn is on a distinguished road

mark is incorrect gps+ does depend on whereyou are located becase it does use the cell tower to download data for the local satellies so if you move too far awayyou will need to redownload.. it does NOT use wifi.. no option even to use wifi. only cell tower becuase it needs your location.
The Following User Says Thank You to lgkahn For This Useful Post:
Rhonin (05-15-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Mooderator

WarCow is on a distinguished road

The greatest misunderstanding of this thread is that you need GPS+ to use the GPS software of this phone. You don't.
The only use of GPS+ is to provide you with a faster lock when cold-booting the GPS. For instance it might take a few minutes to get a lock without it..with GPS+ it would take 10 seconds.

And I'm not 100% sure how it works, but other aGPS technologies like this get your current location from cell towers and download a set of data regarding which satellites are passing overhead at your location..this eliminates the need to spend too much time searching for a signal (it will take at least 30 seconds in theory without assistance like GPS+..in practice it's more like a few minutes)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarCow For This Useful Post:
delta619 (06-03-2010), Rhonin (05-15-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 PM

BIG THANKS to Warcow & LGKahn, 'cause they provide the information, which explain the behaviour of the phone i experienced.
But nethertheless.... 30 Minutes o locate the required satelite signal should be enough under the free sky.... but my phone can't find anything.... the only effect 've got is an empty batery :-(

Thx gyus... you 're very helpful...

Meanwhile the SAT locking is very fast and works as i expected it :-) Maybe the meanwhile used GPS+ feature helped to bypass the beginners difficulties... Thx

Last edited by Rhonin; 05-18-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Additional infos....
Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM

ashtan is on a distinguished road

Anyone has problems getting a sat lock using google maps recently?

I tried getting a sat lock using another phone, but also could not get it...
Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 AM

Jörn is on a distinguished road

WarCow is right.

GPS+ downloads data about where which satellite will be at what times the following 7 days. This is called almanach data, if I remember right. This allows for a quite quick satfix.

But: THE SAME data is downloaded by the GPS receiver from the satellites above - but we don't have the high bandwidth here; bandwidth has to be shared with the regular GPS positioning data, and your GPS has to wait for the beginning of the sequential data stream (it's like the time signal radio controlled clocks use), so download may take quite a while. Satfix starts AFTER downloading all necessary data - this is what slows down the satfix if you don't use GPS+.

By the way: The speed of the satfix does NOT (N-O-T !!!) depend on the software used. So just don't believe anyone boasting with a fast satfix just by using a different software application; that's pure nonsense - but one of that infamous urban legends which never cease getting told.

GPS+ does nothing else than downloading the satellite positions data which normally gets downloaded from the satellites themselves via a fast (Internet) connection.

So GPS+ is the same as leaving the mobile a few minutes under the clear sky. Nothing magic, nothing fancy.

Assisted GPS (AGPS) is something completely different. No almanach data gets downloaded, the mobile uses data from different mobile network repeaters for triangulating (in fact it's not triangulation, but something similar) your COARSE position. It's precise enough to make your mobile know in which town or suburb you are, but does not pinpoint your position as real GPS does.

BUT: Rhonins second problem did not get understood correctly. The built-in GPS application (NOT GPS+) tries to establish an Internet connection every time you use GPS data. This has nothing to do with Assisted GPS (AGPS) or downloading the satellite almanach data. Data download is always 176 bytes; so no big deal and not enough for any almanach data, but nagging.
I had the same problem some weeks ago, and it took quite a while figuring out how to solve that. I did succeed at last; but now I reflashed the FW, encounter the same problem - and have to realize I forgot how I did it weeks ago.

I'll keep you updated if I find that solution again.

Last edited by Jörn; 05-20-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 PM

arcenist is on a distinguished road

i know im a little late to the party but does anyone find it a little offensive that the phone, despite coming with integrated GPS does not come with a GPS program?! i know it has route66 on it but you still have to pay for it, at least i had to.

and for that matter, what if i were travelling overseas, then even the smallest ammount of data retrieval costs enough to matter. why is it that you cant do, what you can do with any Garmin or Tom Tom and use it as a GPS device without incurring running costs?!

very dissapointed about this. especially considering it was a major selling point of the phone.

on a side note, even open office, on mine at least, has to be paid for before you can use it..... even the n97 has free gps, i only know because one of the guys im travelling with has it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement