Route66 app compatibility with Indian roads - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD GPS Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 05:28 AM

vik is on a distinguished road
Default Route66 app compatibility with Indian roads

Hi All -

I recently bought Samsung i8910. I want to understand the GPS app on it: Samsung LBS (Route66)
Is it compatible for Indian roads? I turned it ON & selected "Navigation". It did show me the point in India where I'm but still kept on "getting GPS position" for quite long
I'm not sure if I'm doing it correct or not.
I'm planning to do a road trip to Mumbai. Does this app offers voice guided assistance? If yes, how much accurate is it for Indian roads?
Do I've to download or buy any other app or map for it?

How to go ahead about it? Kindly assist. I've read that even Garmin does the same. I installed Garmin XT version on it but it popped up saying that it is not compatible app for my phone. I still installed it but when I run it, it doesn't do anything & comes back to "applications" page.

Need suggestions, help with all the above

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 05:17 PM

srini09 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik View Post
Hi All -

I recently bought Samsung i8910. I want to understand the GPS app on it: Samsung LBS (Route66)
Is it compatible for Indian roads? I turned it ON & selected "Navigation". It did show me the point in India where I'm but still kept on "getting GPS position" for quite long
I'm not sure if I'm doing it correct or not.
I'm planning to do a road trip to Mumbai. Does this app offers voice guided assistance? If yes, how much accurate is it for Indian roads?
Do I've to download or buy any other app or map for it?

How to go ahead about it? Kindly assist. I've read that even Garmin does the same. I installed Garmin XT version on it but it popped up saying that it is not compatible app for my phone. I still installed it but when I run it, it doesn't do anything & comes back to "applications" page.

Need suggestions, help with all the above

Thanks
Hi Vik,

I am using the Omnia HD in India and use the GPS application extensively. Here's what you need to do to get it operational.

Go to Tools--> Location --> Positioning --> Positioning methods. In this, ensure only the Integrated GPS option is selected.

Take the handset out into an area without much obstacles and the gps should work just fine. The native Route 66 software is fantastic and the roads in India are well mapped out. As I mentioned before, I use this extensively for my navigation needs.

Srini
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to srini09 For This Useful Post:
vik (01-28-2010)
Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini09 View Post
Hi Vik,

I am using the Omnia HD in India and use the GPS application extensively. Here's what you need to do to get it operational.

Go to Tools--> Location --> Positioning --> Positioning methods. In this, ensure only the Integrated GPS option is selected.

Take the handset out into an area without much obstacles and the gps should work just fine. The native Route 66 software is fantastic and the roads in India are well mapped out. As I mentioned before, I use this extensively for my navigation needs.

Srini

Thanks Srini. That helps but I'm using it for the 1st time. So I might need more elaborate usage & guidance tips related to it. How to use it?
This is what I do:
1. I opened Samsung LBS app & under that I tried to open GPS+. It pops up with 2 sub titles:
a) Download data
b) Check valid time
What are they? When I clicked on 'Download data', it said that 'To speed up GPS operation, GPS requires data download & it'll incur charges. Downloaded data will be valid for 7 days'
What does that mean?
2. I clicked on 'Navigation', it did went to the correct position in the Indian map & kept on 'Getting position'. Later it came with this error: 'Street not digitised'
Why so?
3. Under 'Travel guides', when I selected Lonely planet app, & selected for Indian map, it is locked & I think 0.99 eiros is the cost. What is that?

Please elaborate or provide any guide of how to use it. Also assist if I'm doing it wrong somewhere. By the way, I'm based in Hyderabad.

Thanks

Old 01-31-2010, 04:00 AM

Any updates, Srini ????
Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 PM

OmniaKilledTheIPhone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik View Post
Any updates, Srini ????

Vik,

IMO, Route 66 has good info only on select Indian cities and main routes used by interstate transportation.

I use GPS quite a lot. And i'd say in Bangalore, i have almost no complaints. But I've noticed Google Map to be way more accurate. If you have a unlimited data plan, like i bought a weekly unlimited plan from airtel, you could use GoogleMaps for very accurate navigation. It has almost all of india digitized in maps that can be used with the integrated GPS.

You could also opt to buy maps from MAPMYINDIA, which claims to have throughly mapped India. But check it out before you buy it.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 PM

sanju.jdhv is on a distinguished road

HI Guys
Can some please help me with india map... I travel a lot and need navigation most of the time....
Plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Admin is on a distinguished road

Sanju, those posts above are 2 years old. The members who posted havent been here since 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement