Sending GPS data to laptop? - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD GPS Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 03:05 PM

zappa79 is on a distinguished road
Default Sending GPS data to laptop?

Is there a program that enables one to use the built in GPS in our phones to send data to a laptop or other devices that does not have built in gps?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Mooderator

WarCow is on a distinguished road

Joiku - Symarctic ExtGPS

Haven't tried it yet, but it says it's compatible with N97/5800, so in theory it should work on our phone. Check it out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:48 PM

zappa79 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCow View Post
Joiku - Symarctic ExtGPS

Haven't tried it yet, but it says it's compatible with N97/5800, so in theory it should work on our phone. Check it out.
Tried it just now, and it is an java based application .jar so it does start up, however I am getting the following error message:

No suitable positionong methods. This application requires GPS based positioning supporting NMEA-0183. Check S60 menu Tools -> Settings -> General -> Positioning.

However I can not find any such settings, do you think there is a solution to this? I really need this software to work!

Thank you for your help!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 PM

Gerii is on a distinguished road

Yeah it isn't working on our phone. I will ask the devs about this, maybe some of you should do the same.
info@symarctic.com

Last edited by Gerii; 01-16-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Mooderator

It's in Menu > Settings > Phone > Application Sett. > Positioning

I just tried it and get the same error..you can bypass it by selecting Bluetooth GPS to ON, but then it just searches for at Bluetooth GPS

Well, i guess it's not compatible with the GPS in this phone..
Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 AM

lamarque is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to lamarque

Hi all, I managed to export GPS data to my notebook and import them into GoogleEarth in realtime. To do that you need:

. python and python script shell 2.0.0 signed by Nokia with full capability. Most python install files out there do not have Location capability, which rises "permission denied" errors when any python program tries to access the internal GPS. Probably this also happens with Java programs, which would affect ExtGPS. The needed files are Python_2.0.0.sis and PythonScriptShell_2.0.0_high_capas.sis. Install them on C:

. download s60_as_bt_gps.py and locationrequestor_3rd.sis. I had to add some fixes to s60_as_bt_gps.py to prevent it from crashing (the patch is attached). For those who do not understand how to use a patch file the changes are simple: 1. In line 34 change "import socket" to "import btsocket as socket"; 2. In line 320 add a "if len(args) > 7:", in the following 5 lines add a tab to ident the if (Python requires that to accept the if); 3. In line 332 do the same, add "if len(args) > 13:" and ident all lines until the line with "###########"

. Install the .sis and copy s60_as_bt_gps.py to C:/Data/Python/ using X-plore for instance.

. turn Bluetooth on.

. run Python Scriptshell and from there run s60_as_bt_gps.py.

. click on Options -> Accept Connections.

That is it. The bluetooth service should be available now on channel 10.

I also managed to import the data into GoogleEarth running in my Linux installation. I have not tried to do that in Windows. I used the information here, although I had to fix the python script available in that page (gegpsd-0.2.py) because the script in the phone exports the GPS data in a different NMEA type. It is not that hard to fix it, you just need to understand the fields in the two NMEA types used by the phone ($GPGGA) and the script ($GPRMC).

To attach the phone's bluetooth NMEA service to Linux you need to execute:

rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 00:11:22:33:44:55 10

where 00:11:22:33:44:55 is your phone's bluetooth MAC address and 10 is the channel the 60_as_bt_gps.py script got from Symbian bluetooth service (it may not be 10).

Then you need to edit the gegpsd-0.2.py file and change the serial_port variable to /dev/rfcomm0, the field number 3 to 2 (latitude), 5 to 4 (longitude), 4 to 3 (S/N switch), and 6 to 5 (W/E switch) in the datablock variable, and change $GPRMC to $GPGGA. The $GPGGA type does not indicate speed so you can ignore this value.

Then is just run the gegpsd-0.2.py script and import the /tmp/nmea.kml file (or the file indicated in the file variable) into GoogleEarth. It is a bit slow but it works :-)
Attached Files
File Type: txt s60_as_bt_gps_fix.txt (5.8 KB, 19 views)
Linux User #57137 - http://counter.li.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to lamarque For This Useful Post:
WarCow (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Mooderator

Awesome..thanks a lot for posting your guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement