GPS Speed and Direction - as used by Easy GPS - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD GPS Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 10:11 AM

tallpaul is on a distinguished road
Default GPS Speed and Direction - as used by Easy GPS

I have two GPS apps installed on my phone: the free UTM Data (so that I can quickly get the OSGB reference of my position via GPS) and Easy GPS (which I purchased from the Ovi Store).

The idea behind Easy GPS is that when you leave your car you fire it up, log your position (using the GPS) and then close the app. Later, when you've lost your car, you fire it up again and it shows you both how far away it is and, once you start walking, in what direction you need to walk. It's a great little app and worked a treat on my Nokia 6760. However on the i8910 although it does distance fine it doesn't do direction.

Which brings me back to UTM Data. When you fire that up it says "Positioning does not support speed or heading course: compass may be erratic". My understanding from talking to people at CSR (who now own SiRF, the leading player in that market) is that GPS chips calculate speed themselves (by measuring the Doppler effect on the signal rather than integrating the position data over time, which is too coarse a measure at walking speed) so I'm wondering if direction is also commonly done on chip and Easy GPS is relying on this to get direction data.

Has anyone got any more knowledge in this area or any thoughts as to what I can do, if anything, to fix it? I know I paid for the software but as I downloaded from Ovi while pretending to be an N97 I can understand if the authors aren't that keen on helping me (not that I've asked yet).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Joey2oo9 is on a distinguished road

I'd be more concerned with the fact you can't remember where you parked than getting Easy GPS working......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 PM

Heh, you make a valid point.

For me it would be useful when I go walking in the timber forests around here. They're a maze of twisty passages all the same. So we park, I log the position of the car on my Garmin Foretrex (wrist mounted GPS) and we head off into the wood. When we get bored the Foretrex (which has a feature very like Easy GPS) leads us back to the car.

Being able to do that using my phone, when we go for a walk on impulse rather than it being planned, would be useful.

I have now logged this issue with the authors but I've not had a response yet. When I do I'll post it here.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Mooderator

WarCow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
I have now logged this issue with the authors but I've not had a response yet. When I do I'll post it here.
This is probably your best bet. It's their product and they know it best, even though they may not have meant for you to run it on the i8910, I'm sure they will do what they can to help out, since you are a customer
And if not, they should know the power of unsatisfied customers on the internet
Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
@bstract Journeyman

Fevves is on a distinguished road

Can't you simply use any GPS SatNav app for that? I mean, once you arrive somewhere, bookmark that position and then on return trace a new route from where you are with previously bookmarked destination. Even Ovi Maps could suite such purpose.

Read & obey Global Forum Rules, GUI section Rules, Netiquette, common sense and post accordingly.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:51 PM

My original example was poor, my practical use for this is off road walking so SatNav apps are no help at all. What I want is just direction and distance and EasyGPS gives you precisely that.

If I've got a data connection I suppose I do have the option of downloading the OS map of where I am via my mapping app as I've got a pretty generous data allowance (100MB/day with GiffGaff) but that's a bit overkill and the key word is "if", plus doing that over 2G takes forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement