USB charging - voltage/ amperage comparison - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums var xl8_script = document.createElement("script"); xl8_script.src = "http://loadus.exelator.com/load/?p=239&g=053&c=927073&ctg=Mobile&make=Samsung&Model=i8910 Omnia&j=d"; xl8_script.type = "text/javascript"; xl8_script.async = true; document.body.appendChild(xl8_script); 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 10:33 PM

Chrispyweener is on a distinguished road
Default USB charging - voltage/ amperage comparison

Hi all,

Just trying to figure out at the moment why it takes an age to charge the phone via USB yet seems quite quick from the wall socket.

The wall charger I have says it outputs 5v 700mah. I laptop port must be putting out a similar amount of around 5v but I'm not sure of the amperage the average USB port can produce. Surely it's not far off the same? If not then why is it that the phone takes a lot longer to charge this way?

Perhaps it's due to the nature of the connection? I have a generic wall socket USB charger - basically a plug with a USB port in it. Connect the phone to this using the standard USB cable and it asks what connection you want (PC suite, mass storage etc). This doesn't seem to take long to charge the phone and the rated output is 5v 500mah max on this, less than the proper Samsung charger.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Geeky thread I know but I'm curious.

Chris.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 PM

GIR is on a distinguished road

The max current of the USB port on your puter is 100mA, that's why it takes longer. This situation will improve with the USB 3.0 standard.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Aha! That explains it. So 100mah on lappy, 500mah from wall socket thingy and 700mah from proper charger.

In this case, with the proper car charger (CAD300UBEC) what is the output of that? People have commented on many generic car chargers not providing enough grunt to charge the phone as you use it meaning if you're using GPS then the charge levels can still drop. I currently have the problem myself that the phone will not recognise either of 2 the generic micro USB car chargers I try - nothing happens. I was thinking of getting a car charger that just gives you a USB port from the cig lighter and using the data cable to plug into the phone. It'll probably prompt me for a connection type but if it's 1A like they say it is it should charge the phone ok, especially whilst it's under heavy use with GPS. Or is 1A too much? I take it the phone has protection from excessive current.....
Old 09-04-2009, 11:09 PM

The CAD300UBEC is also 700mA. I can go into technical stuff to explain that you are wrong on the discharging while charging thing but just take it from me, you are wrong. Having a charger which can supply more power then needed doesn't do much as the charge regulator won't draw more then needed. I think your problem is with the elcheapo car chargers, the phone has built-in safe guard for an improper charger, if you plug-in a charger which may damage your phone then it simply won't charge. Try a proper charger and I'm sure your problems will be gone.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:17 PM

Ok, thanks. I've ordered a genuine CAD300UBEC from eBay but the seller sent me the wrong one so it'll have to go back. Sigh.

In terms of the discharging whilst charging thing, I'm only going by what I've read on here - I cannot confirm it myself as per my comment I cannot get the cheapo car chargers to work. If it is indeed false then that's fine.

Roll on the proper car charger arriving.

I did wonder about the voltage protection. My Nokia Micro USB charger is rated at 1A as opposed to 700mah and it did charge the phone, although I got the error "battery disconnected" once with that so I never tried it again. The Samsung charger never causes that error.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 PM

GT172I is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bump an old thread, but had similar question as far as usb charging. coming from an iPhone I have a bunch of usb wall and car chargers and the ones I checked have 5V 1A output power rating. So I was planning on using them for the i8910 just with the different usb -> phone cable instead of the standard iphone one.

Am I correct to assume that what GIR said about the phone/charger not drawing more current than it needs is true and that the charger is just capable of that higher current output or truly does output that and will mess with the Omnia?
Old 10-01-2009, 09:40 PM

I played it safe to be honest and don't use anything other than the genuine charger. The Nokia charger I've got left over from my N85 outputs 1000mah whereas the Samsung one is 700mah. I did try the Nokia one once and it said 'battery disconnected' so I quickly unplugged it and never tried it again. The Samsung charger has never made the phone do this.

Similar things go for the car chargers too. The cheapo ones that worked fine with my Nokias didn't even register with my I8910 - nothing happened. I had to get a genuine CAD300UBEC to charge in the car. Don't know if that was a voltage / current thing or down to the connectors on the end not being quite right. The head unit in my old car had a USB port on the front and using a normal data cable that charged fine, it just asked me the type of connection each time I plugged it in (Pc Suite, Mass storage etc).
Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 AM
i8910 Gladiator

valdigre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR View Post
The max current of the USB port on your puter is 100mA, that's why it takes longer. This situation will improve with the USB 3.0 standard.
It is not entirely correct. I charged my phone using the USB in about 4-5 hours, so about 50% more, than using a standard wall charger.

On the wiki page it states: "A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and was raised to 150 mA in USB 3.0. A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0."

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unless laptops output less juice through USB, than Desktops...

Last edited by valdigre; 10-02-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 AM

endarion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIR View Post
I didn't realize that. However, we can add amperage if we put a circuit in parallel, so you can probably hit 400mA by plugging those Y-shape usb cables (often come with external hard drives), and then taking the ends of 2 of them into a third Y-cable, and linking that to the phone. You'll probably need some female/female connectors as well.

Wonder what would happen...? Normally I have tons of cables around to test, but I just moved a few weeks back, and don't have my connectors handy.

*Edit* Looks like you don't need the f/f connector: Amazon has a Y-male to female usb cable:
http://www.amazon.com/USB-Power-Adap.../dp/B000JIOHDE

Last edited by endarion; 10-02-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdigre View Post
It is not entirely correct. I charged my phone using the USB in about 4-5 hours, so about 50% more, than using a standard wall charger.

On the wiki page it states: "A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and was raised to 150 mA in USB 3.0. A maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, which was raised to 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0."

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unless laptops output less juice through USB, than Desktops...
What part of it is not entirely correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion View Post
I didn't realize that. However, we can add amperage if we put a circuit in parallel, so you can probably hit 400mA by plugging those Y-shape usb cables (often come with external hard drives), and then taking the ends of 2 of them into a third Y-cable, and linking that to the phone. You'll probably need some female/female connectors as well.

Wonder what would happen...? Normally I have tons of cables around to test, but I just moved a few weeks back, and don't have my connectors handy.

*Edit* Looks like you don't need the f/f connector: Amazon has a Y-male to female usb cable:
Amazon.com: USB Power Adapter Y Cable: Electronics
Or you could just use a USB HUB with an external power supply. Cheap, safe, quick and simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement