|i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks|
WARNINGS RE FLASHING FWs!
Seeing our current tutorial on Flashing FW procedure does not contain some informations users suggested, here are WARNINGS and corrections:
Before even thinking about flashing your ROM - do consider this is going to void your warranty and can cause malfunction and/or total absence of any functionality of your phone (means you 'bricked' it). If you decide to flash your ROM, then you're doing it AT YOUR OWN RISK and Forum staff, ROM cookers and other members of these forums can't be held responsible for such course of actions and possible phone failures. Do consider that such procedures like flashing ROM is not meant to be executed before you properly learn what is it doing and what you're doing with it. In other words, don't rush it just cause you want x,y,z features on your phone.
1. When you're flashing FW with Symbian Rom flashing tool 1.50 leave BOOT option in AP download field checked AT YOUR OWN RISK!
We STRONGLY advise against leaving it checked and to uncheck it by all means
Why? Because if you don't flash your bootloader potion you won't lose anything at all. And if your flashing procedure goes bad or corrupted, then you have a chance to repeat flashing procedure again as your bootloader remained intact and healthy.
If you still wish to update your bootloader potion, then do so using workaround suggested by djsaad1 here: When to check/uncheck boot option ?
2. Proper combination for turning your phone prior to flash procedure and access Boot mode is: Hold upper volume + Lock buttons and then still holding them turn your phone on with Power button.
3. If your flashing procedure goes wrong, then pull out your battery, wait some, reinsert it and retry from the beginning.
4. Do not try using any flashing or updating procedures on old proprietary USB1/1.1 port or with any kind of USB hub. Flashing/updating procedures are to be done only on your PC USB2.0 port.
5. Use Windows XP machine when flashing if you can and leave alone Vista and 7 for such necessity.
You could set up dual boot or even use Windows XP USB edition for such purposes (don't ask what/where and how - google is your friend in finding legit ways to accomplish such operations). If you have to use Vista or 7 then do read posts how to do it. Same principle goes for MACs and Linux distros - using Virtual Machine is your option for successful flashing.
6. It is recommended to execute Hard Reset prior to flashing and also once successfully flashed.
We'll see into adding these in original tutorial posted by Briggs in due time.
If you're to win, you can't afford to lose!
If you think life sucks... go contemplate the other possibility!
Read & obey Global Forum Rules, GUI section Rules, Netiquette, common sense and post accordingly.
Last edited by Fevves; 02-20-2010 at 05:08 PM.