Guide to unpacking some of the firmware files - Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums 0){document.location.href='showthread.php?p='+cpostno;};} }">

i8910 HD Blog i8910 Omnia HD Firmware i8910 HD Themes Optimus 2X Forums Galaxy S Forums PSP Hacks PS3 Hacks

Go Back   Samsung i8910 Omnia HD User Forums > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Discussion > Samsung i8910 Omnia HD Custom Roms / Cooked Roms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 03:14 PM
LifeTime VIP - Former Mod

djsaad1 is on a distinguished road
Default Guide to unpacking some of the firmware files

Some of you have asked for this in a different thread so I figured I would just make a quick general guide on how to unpack the rofs files in the firmware.

You can't unpack the whole firmware but you can unpack any of the rofs.img files.

rofs stands for read only file system. In this case our rofs is the z: drive on our phones. It won't unpack all of the z: drive because a lot of it is still packed in the bin file, but it will unpack a lot of it.

The unpacking part is easy it's the repacking part that is tiresome.

First you need to extract all the firmware rars.

Then you will see three folders, the pda code folder, the pda csc folder, and another folder that is named after the firmware.

The rof files are found in the pda code folder and the pda csc folder, there are 4 of them and only 3 them have any use, rofs1, rofs2, and rofs3.

Rofs1 is found in in the core sub folder, which is inside the pda code folder. rofs2, rofs3, and rofs4 have their own folders in the pda csc folder.

To extract the rofs files you need to download rofs_tools.zip zip MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

once you extract rofs_tools.zip copy all of its contents into the folder with the rof you want to extract.

Go to that folder and click on cmd to get to a dos prompt for that folder.

When you are at the dos prompt type unrofs and then the file name of the rofs.

As an example, for the malaysian software it would be "unrofs i8910dxig2_xdx.rofs1.img"
without the quotes of course.

That will extract all the files into a new folder.

You can now edit any file you wish in that new folder.

Now this is where it gets complicated, to make everything into a rofs.img file again you need to build an .obey file.

The .obey is a list of where the files currently are on the pc and where they need to be on the phone.

Here is a sample of a rofs.obey file that I have made of the Malaysian rofs1.img file ROFS.obey - FileFactory

Open it up in wordpad and you will notice it's not hard to do, it's just time consuming.

The first part always starts with data= "the folder location of where you want to put the file on the z: drive and the file name" the second part is just the folder location of where the file is on your pc.

I made my obey file by going to cmd prompt again in the folder where the img was extracted too. And typed in dir /s /b >list.txt. This will make a list of all files in folders in the directory. I opened up list.txt, selected all and copied it into the first column of an excel worksheet. Then I copied it again to the second column of the same excel worksheet.

I then saved the excel worksheet as a text file and opened it up in wordpad.

In wordpad I used the replace feature to replace all "\" with "data=" I think there were also quotes and other things on each line that I used the replace feature to take out too. I don't have my original list.txt anymore so I am not sure.

Now all that was the easy part, now you have to go line by line and delete any lines that just point to folders only and not the files. I have not found an easy way to do this yet but I am sure there is one.

So if there is a line that just says data=sys\bin then that needs to be deleted, because it isn't actually pointing to a file just a folder.

After you have deleted all the folder lines that don't point to files, save the document as rofs.obey

After you do all that you go back to cmd in the extracted rof file folder and type in "rofsbuild rofs.obey" If you did everything right, it will build back the image, if not then it will tell you whats wrong with the obey file and you need to go fix that line.

once you have your new rofs.img replace it with the old one in the original folder and now flash that firmware to your phone.

I hope this helps, it probably sounds overwhelming but once you see my obey file you will get it pretty fast.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to djsaad1 For This Useful Post:
arcane613 (09-17-2009), curtis2k8 (10-22-2009), eboy (08-27-2009), fish55 (08-25-2009), gnusmas8910HD (09-09-2009), gpap2004 (08-12-2009), hisham (09-04-2009), hyperx (09-01-2009), istvan (03-05-2010), Jesus (08-11-2009), mohcivil (11-18-2009), nghia_kn (06-06-2011), PapaDocta (08-12-2009), Pavel-i8910 (08-11-2009), Persian0123 (12-14-2010), surge (08-11-2009), v1rtu4l (08-11-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 03:32 PM
VIP - Former Mod

surge is on a distinguished road

wow, awesome..thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:31 PM
The good shepherd

Jesus is on a distinguished road

Holy moly! Djsaad, are you telling me that we can edit ANY of the files extracted and then reflash them perfectly? Can we add and remove files at will, too?

Old 08-11-2009, 06:24 PM

Yes you can add and remove files at will but be careful.

To add a file just put it inside the directory you want it to be in, and then add that path into the obey file.

Also, I don't know this for sure but what I believe I found out from my tests is that you can also overwrite files that are not extractable.

For an example, installserver.exe is on the phone at z:\sys\bin but it's not in the rofs1.img. If you put an installserver.exe file that you modded into the z:\sys\bin in the extracted firmware folder and add it to your obey file the one that is in your obey file should overwrite the one in the original firmware. So even though you can't extract some files, you should be able to overwrite them. I am using the installserver.exe as an example because if we get an installserver.exe that is modded right for our phone we won't need to sign anymore apps.

Now I am not positive about the overwriting part, but I am pretty sure about it.

Last edited by djsaad1; 08-11-2009 at 06:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsaad1 For This Useful Post:
eboy (08-27-2009), gpap2004 (08-12-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 PM

Sathinas is on a distinguished road

Any chance the ROM files we can unpack contain the stock sounds and paths? I'd like to change two of them.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
The good shepherd

Jesus is on a distinguished road

I've heard that there's a limit on the number of times you can flash the rom before it deteriorates; is this true?

@Sathinas, yes, the rofs files contain ALL of the sounds used by the phone.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Sathinas is on a distinguished road

@ Jesus. Thank you, I'll have to splay with this when I get home. The only reason I originally hacked mine was to change the unlock sound and the screen off sound. Didn't know Z was still unwritable. But now...

Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 PM
VIP - Former Mod

surge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
I've heard that there's a limit on the number of times you can flash the rom before it deteriorates; is this true?

@Sathinas, yes, the rofs files contain ALL of the sounds used by the phone.
I don't know if this is true but on windows mobile we have something called HARDSPL which can help correct rom flash failures...

Normally if you are flashing a rom and something goes wrong the device is bricked, but if HARDSPL is installed you will still have a good chance at recovery.

I am not sure if there is something like this for symbian phones, or if something like this is actually needed for symbian devices.

Anyone know?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
I started a thread on symbian freak to see if anyone there knows the answer to that.

www.symbian-freak.com :: Log in
Old 08-11-2009, 09:23 PM

pertejac is on a distinguished road

i have problem here...

can get the list of all filles

I made my obey file by going to cmd prompt again in the folder where the img was extracted too. And typed in dir /s /b >list.txt. This will make a list of all files

the only what i get is

'/s' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Last edited by pertejac; 08-11-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement